Can I install full MS SQL Server 7.0 not just client utilities on MS Windows 98

Can I install full MS SQL Server 7.0 not just client utilities on MS Windows 98

Post by Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, C » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

My current notebook computer has NT 4.0 workstation. I have installed the full MS SQL Server 7.0 on
my notebook (not just the client utilities),Oracl e 7 and VC++ 6.0. I want to install Oracle 8i
Server.

However, my vendor told me that NT 4.0 does not support  DVD. If I want a DVD drive on my notebook,
I have to have Windows 98 instead of NT 4.0. The vendor says Windows 2000 will support DVD. Is this
correct? The idea is if I can't run my development software on my new notebook, I will not get a DVD
drive. Instead I will get a cd rom.

Does anyone know if I can install a local MS SQL Server on Windows 98. Also, if know can I install
Oracle server on it. Also, I want to install the full version of VC++ 6.0.

Thanks for your help.

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/seldin

Can I install full MS SQL Server 7.0 not just client utilities on MS Windows 98

Post by Umachandar Jayachandra » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Windows 98 / Win 2K -> DVD Yes
Windows NT -> DVD - No
 SQL Server 7.0, Oracle 8, VC++ can be installed on all the above
operating systems.
--
Umachandar Jayachandran
MCDBA, MCSE + Internet, MCP + Internet, MCSE

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Brad Ais » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Windows 98 / Win 2K -> DVD Yes
> Windows NT -> DVD - No
>  SQL Server 7.0, Oracle 8, VC++ can be installed on all the above
> operating systems.

I have a PC DVD drive on my NT system and it works just fine for reading
DVD data drives.

Note that you can buy W2K *now* from MS, and it should probably fully
support DVD just fine.

--
Brad Aisa

http://keys.pgp.com:11371/pks/lookup2?op=index&search=Brad+Aisa

"Laissez faire."

Can I install full MS SQL Server 7.0 not just client utilities on MS Windows 98

Post by Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, C » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Umachandar,

Thanks much...

- Larry

Quote:>Windows 98 / Win 2K -> DVD Yes
>Windows NT -> DVD - No
> SQL Server 7.0, Oracle 8, VC++ can be installed on all the above
>operating systems.
>--
>Umachandar Jayachandran
>MCDBA, MCSE + Internet, MCP + Internet, MCSE

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. MS-SQL Server 7.0 Server creation on Win 98 standalone

Hi,
I have Win 98 standalone, no network of internet access, have installed MS
SQL 7.0 successfully, wish to create Server - can create Server group, but
then cannot create and connect to a Server creation, for me to be able to
create a an actual database.
Gives error about network cannot be detected/connected to and something
about WindowsNT (remembering that I am using Win98 standalone machine)

Any idea's how I can over come this?
thanks.

2. +/- Inf for float8's

3. OH-COLUMBUS-50088--ORACLE-MS SQL Server-UNIX-Windows NT-MS Office-Client/Server-

4. Sybase - Multithreaded env. (SOLARIS 2.3)

5. OCI App Development Question - linking

6. Problem installing SQL server 7.0 on WIndows 98 computer

7. Client Network Utility required for Windows 95/98 clients using replication

8. MS SQL Server 7.0 and Win. 98

9. Client Network Utility required for Windows 95/98 clients