Phonetic search in fulltext catalog

Post by Kai Schofiel » Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi.

Does anyone know if the sql-server 7.0 contains functions for phonetic
searches?

Example:
I have a table with a field called 'BandName'. When a user wants to
search for 'Dire Straits' I run the following query: SELECT * FROM
The query returns the expected results and everything is ok but what if
the user enters 'Dyre Straits'?
A query like the above one will not find a matching record but since the
user obviously just misspelled the search string it would be nice if the
sql-server could ignore at least slight misspellings.

Can anyone help me?

Phonetic search in fulltext catalog

Post by Kalen Delane » Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Soundex searches will probably make it into a future release, but is not
part of the product now. You could just make some clever use of wildcard
pattern matching.

HTH

--
Kalen Delaney
MCSE, SQL Server MCT, MVP

Quote:> Hi.

> Does anyone know if the sql-server 7.0 contains functions for phonetic
> searches?

> Example:
> I have a table with a field called 'BandName'. When a user wants to
> search for 'Dire Straits' I run the following query: SELECT * FROM
> The query returns the expected results and everything is ok but what if
> the user enters 'Dyre Straits'?
> A query like the above one will not find a matching record but since the
> user obviously just misspelled the search string it would be nice if the
> sql-server could ignore at least slight misspellings.

> Can anyone help me?

1. Probleme of search engine of fulltext/phonetic type

Hello!!

I have a big problem:
I want to developp a seach engine over SQL server or Oracle database.
The search criteria must be made on text value type.
What is this fulltext or phonetic metohd ?
How can I use it  to solve my problem ?

Thanks!!

Gilbert.

2. sp_spaceused for DB Vs. sp_spaceused <table_name> disparity

3. Phonetic Fulltext: Possible w/ SQL Server 2K?

4. FM CDML Help

5. Fulltext Search AND web site search

6. Changing field length in SQL tables/BCP problem

7. Phonetic Searches

8. Cursor failing to return rows

9. Phonetic Searching

10. Fuzzy Phonetic searching