SQL 7 Cluster (on W2k) - starting the server in Single User Mode

SQL 7 Cluster (on W2k) - starting the server in Single User Mode

Post by Kevin Colecloug » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:33:26

I need to restart my SQL 7 server in single user mode so
that the master database can be restored to it. I run the
command sqlservr -m in a command prompt, but the command
never seems to complete, despite all the messages that
appear on screen that seem to suggest everything is OK.
So, the command seemingly continues to run, but the SQL
Server is not brought back up.  Any ideas??

SQL 7 Cluster (on W2k) - starting the server in Single User Mode

Post by Sue Hoegemeie » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:00:42

What you seem to be describing is normal when starting
sqlserver from the command line with sqlservr. What you see
on the screen is the same thing that is logged to the SQL
Server logged. After everything has started up, you need to
connect with osql or query analyzer and execute your
restore.

-Sue

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 04:33:26 -0800, "Kevin Coleclough"

>I need to restart my SQL 7 server in single user mode so
>that the master database can be restored to it. I run the
>command sqlservr -m in a command prompt, but the command
>never seems to complete, despite all the messages that
>appear on screen that seem to suggest everything is OK.
>So, the command seemingly continues to run, but the SQL
>Server is not brought back up.  Any ideas??

SQL 7 Cluster (on W2k) - starting the server in Single User Mode

Post by Dan Guzma » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:20:49

To add to Sue's response, the SQL Server running in the command prompt
window will shut down when the master database restore completes.  You
can then start SQL Server normally.

--
Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP

SQL FAQ links (courtesy  Neil Pike):

http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
http://www.sqlserverfaq.com
http://www.mssqlserver.com/faq

Quote:> I need to restart my SQL 7 server in single user mode so