using ip address

Post by Hiro » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 00:17:32

I want to use ip address to point publisher and distributor in pull merge
subscription set up but I'm getting error meesage saying remote server not
available.  How can I use ip address for a publisher andd distributor to set
up a subscriber.

thank you,
hiro

using ip address

Post by George Li [M » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 16:28:34

Since SQL Server replications depends on the server name to work correctly.
We suggest you use the server name instead of IP address. If there are
difficulties such as name resolution to prevent you using the server name
directly, you can use alias: just use the Client Network Utility to add
alias to your publisher and distributor:

- When you create alias, the Server alias must be the same as the real
server name.
- You can then select TCP/IP as the network library and specify IP address
for the server name.

Best Regards,

George Li

Microsoft Support

using ip address

Post by wilfre » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:44:46

I got similar problem, but while i 'm considering using Client network
utility, I got another problem.... server name conflict.

the remote DB server is having the same name as the database i'm
administering, while the subscriper is a domain controller, and SOA,
which means I cannot change the name of it. Can I create an alias
that is not identicial to the name used in DNS? or any other
solutions can be used?

1. Can't connect using IP Address

Hi all,
I have a SQL Server 2000 cluster installation. I can connect to SQL Server
using the cluster network name. It works with the SQL Server magager
administrator and with any other application.
However I'm having problems to connect using the cluster IP Address.
The virtual IP address is reachable by ping.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks.

2. FPD2.6: Problem with SEEK() Function

3. unable to connect to SQL server using IP address

4. pgsql-server/contrib/pg_dumplo lo_export.c lo_ ...

5. Slow SQL Connection using IP address in ASP page

6. finding child relationship

7. remote server processing using ip addresses

8. How to configure SQL Mail?

9. Pushing objects/data using ip addresses

10. Cannot Connect To SQL Server using IP Addresses

11. using ip addresses in windows scripting host

12. Can't open a access database using IP address

13. talking to ifmx 7.3 server using IP address.