Query Analyzer problem

Post by Joel » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 07:42:44

I'm using Query Analyzer for SQL Server 7.0 on a table that contains 153,676
rows and a DBCC CHECKTABLE shows that 13,102 pages are allocated.  There are
no text or image columns in this table and no indexes.  When a SELECT * INTO
Table2 FROM Table1 it takes 30 seconds.  When I run a simple SELECT * FROM
Table1 , I stop it at 3 minutes and only 26,000 records have been returned.

I guess I don't understand why the SELECT * INTO is so much faster than a
SELECT * from the same table.  Is this a problem with Query Analyzer and
large result sets?

Query Analyzer problem

Post by Gert E.R. Draper » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 07:59:06

SELECT INTO does not generate a result set that need to be displayed on the
client, SELECT FROM does. Depending on your target in SQL QA Text Windows or
Grid you will also see different performance, Text Window will draw line by
line, where the grid build the result set in memory on the client and draws
from there. That is why in grid mode you only see results when the query is
completed and all results are fetched from the server.

Please reply only to the newsgroups.
You assume all risk for your use.
? 2001 SQLDev.Net All rights reserved.

Quote:> I'm using Query Analyzer for SQL Server 7.0 on a table that contains
153,676
> rows and a DBCC CHECKTABLE shows that 13,102 pages are allocated.  There
are
> no text or image columns in this table and no indexes.  When a SELECT *
INTO
> Table2 FROM Table1 it takes 30 seconds.  When I run a simple SELECT * FROM
> Table1 , I stop it at 3 minutes and only 26,000 records have been
returned.

> I guess I don't understand why the SELECT * INTO is so much faster than a
> SELECT * from the same table.  Is this a problem with Query Analyzer and
> large result sets?

1. Query Analyzer problem....Please help!!!!

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've installed SQL Server 2000 client on my laptop running
Windows 98.
Query Analyzer does not start. It is on a task list, but
no window was displayed.
I have the same problem with a Profiler.
Enterprise Manager is running OK but I cannot start Query
Analyzer and Profiler from It.

Appreciate your help.

Yury.

2. MacToPic screen capture

3. Query Analyzer problem....Please Help!!!!!!

4. sql - question

5. Query Analyzer Problem

6. sql server 2000 - book

7. SQL2k & 7.0 Query Analyzer Problem

8. Digest of comp.databases.paradox available now

9. Query analyzer problem

10. SQL7 Query Analyzer Problem

11. SQL Server CE Query Analyzer problems

12. Query Analyzer problem

13. query analyzer problem!