What might cause disconnects to SQL 7???

What might cause disconnects to SQL 7???

Post by Mr. XM » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:57:41

Hi,

I have been running a app server off of a networked SQL 7 server for
several years now.  It has been working flawlessly.  In the past several
months a problem has started recurring.  About every third or forth
weekend the app server will drop its connection to the SQL Server and
the app server will then fail.  I can't tell if the weekend timing has
anything to do with it, other than coincidence.  Traffic is much lower
during the weekend and the day (Saturday vs. Sunday) or time is not
fixed.

I am stuck.  What could be ausing the problem?  I can guess that it
could be a faulty NIC on the app server, since other app servers running
against the same database server are not affected.  Any clues or ideas
how I can track this down?  Monday mornings are bad enough!

Thanks,
Mr. XML

What might cause disconnects to SQL 7???

Post by Med Bouchenaf » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 04:01:19

What's your errolog saying ?

Quote:> Hi,

> I have been running a app server off of a networked SQL 7 server for
> several years now.  It has been working flawlessly.  In the past several
> months a problem has started recurring.  About every third or forth
> weekend the app server will drop its connection to the SQL Server and
> the app server will then fail.  I can't tell if the weekend timing has
> anything to do with it, other than coincidence.  Traffic is much lower
> during the weekend and the day (Saturday vs. Sunday) or time is not
> fixed.

> I am stuck.  What could be ausing the problem?  I can guess that it
> could be a faulty NIC on the app server, since other app servers running
> against the same database server are not affected.  Any clues or ideas
> how I can track this down?  Monday mornings are bad enough!

> Thanks,
> Mr. XML

What might cause disconnects to SQL 7???

Post by Mr. XM » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 04:23:14

I get nothing in the Event Viewer on either machine.  I can't find any trace
to go off of, so I am looking for any suggestions or guesses.

> What's your errolog saying ?

> > Hi,

> > I have been running a app server off of a networked SQL 7 server for
> > several years now.  It has been working flawlessly.  In the past several
> > months a problem has started recurring.  About every third or forth
> > weekend the app server will drop its connection to the SQL Server and
> > the app server will then fail.  I can't tell if the weekend timing has
> > anything to do with it, other than coincidence.  Traffic is much lower
> > during the weekend and the day (Saturday vs. Sunday) or time is not
> > fixed.

> > I am stuck.  What could be ausing the problem?  I can guess that it
> > could be a faulty NIC on the app server, since other app servers running
> > against the same database server are not affected.  Any clues or ideas
> > how I can track this down?  Monday mornings are bad enough!

> > Thanks,
> > Mr. XML

What might cause disconnects to SQL 7???

Post by Med Bouchenaf » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 17:27:16

I was talking about SQL/Server error log not Windows Event Viewer
Just run
master.dbo.xp_readerrorlog 1
or
master.dbo.xp_readerrorlog 2

--
Salutations
Med Bouchenafa

> I get nothing in the Event Viewer on either machine.  I can't find any
trace
> to go off of, so I am looking for any suggestions or guesses.

> > What's your errolog saying ?

> > > Hi,

> > > I have been running a app server off of a networked SQL 7 server for
> > > several years now.  It has been working flawlessly.  In the past
several
> > > months a problem has started recurring.  About every third or forth
> > > weekend the app server will drop its connection to the SQL Server and
> > > the app server will then fail.  I can't tell if the weekend timing has
> > > anything to do with it, other than coincidence.  Traffic is much lower
> > > during the weekend and the day (Saturday vs. Sunday) or time is not
> > > fixed.

> > > I am stuck.  What could be ausing the problem?  I can guess that it
> > > could be a faulty NIC on the app server, since other app servers
running
> > > against the same database server are not affected.  Any clues or ideas
> > > how I can track this down?  Monday mornings are bad enough!

> > > Thanks,
> > > Mr. XML

1. Disconnect to SQL server causing problems

I have a Access2000 frontend and a MSSQL 7.0 server backend.  I have a WAN
with 8 remote locations.  the remotes run at 56KB through a frame relay
circuit.  I have the bandwith monitored and it rarely goes over 10 15%.

The local nodes on the WAN run fine with no problems.  The remotes get error
messages
dbnmpntw or DBMSSOCN depending on weather they are using TCP/IP or named
pipes.  I have run the SQL profiler and it shows a "disconnect" but
apparently when the user accesses the database again, it doesn't reconnect
and thus the error.

Does anyone know what I can do?

2. cannot connect via local tcp with Solaris 8 getting -25572

3. Disconnect caused by SetUser

4. opening Access db with password

5. SETUSER Causes Disconnect

6. Creating custom installation program using VB and VB6

7. Value of disconnected rs field changing w/o cause

8. ontape problem

9. disconnecting a recordset causes Unidentified Error (sometimes)

10. ADO disconnected rs NOT disconnected

11. Sql 7.0 Proc inserting to sql server 6.5 table causes transaction error

12. Sql server - sp_attach_db error that cause SQL server not to function correction