Log Shipping Resync

Post by William Enlo » Sat, 10 Jan 2004 18:24:52

Does anyone know how to reset or resync the Log Shipping Transaction on
the Standby Server?

I am in testing mode and ran a backup log dbname with truncate_only and
it caused my log shipping mechanism to fail and now I need to know how
to resync the process without having to Re-implement the maintenance
plan.

P.S.  Is there a better method of shrinking my database logs while using
Log
Shipping?

Thanks,
Bill

Log Shipping Resync

Post by Keith Kratochvi » Sat, 10 Jan 2004 19:43:57

The only way to get it back in synch is to initiate a backup on your main server and start the whole process over.

You want to shrink your logs files on the primary box?  Perhaps you could backup the logs WITH INIT and then ship them.  This would prevent them from growing.  You will have to use some type of mechanism to keep the old log files, however.

Perhaps this will be helpful:
http://sqlguy.home.comcast.net/logship.htm

--
Keith

> Does anyone know how to reset or resync the Log Shipping Transaction on
> the Standby Server?

> I am in testing mode and ran a backup log dbname with truncate_only and
> it caused my log shipping mechanism to fail and now I need to know how
> to resync the process without having to Re-implement the maintenance
> plan.

> P.S.  Is there a better method of shrinking my database logs while using
> Log
> Shipping?

> Thanks,
> Bill

Log Shipping Resync

Post by John Sitk » Sat, 10 Jan 2004 22:15:33

Even if you don't ever NEED to "roll your own" logshipping
It is absolutely one of the best experiences I've had. You really learn a
lot
I'm glad Keith Kratochvil and others took the time to put it somewhere on
the web as
reference.

The only way to get it back in synch is to initiate a backup on your main
server and start the whole process over.

You want to shrink your logs files on the primary box?  Perhaps you could
backup the logs WITH INIT and then ship them.  This would prevent them from
growing.  You will have to use some type of mechanism to keep the old log
files, however.

Perhaps this will be helpful:
http://sqlguy.home.comcast.net/logship.htm

--
Keith

Quote:> Does anyone know how to reset or resync the Log Shipping Transaction on
> the Standby Server?

> I am in testing mode and ran a backup log dbname with truncate_only and
> it caused my log shipping mechanism to fail and now I need to know how
> to resync the process without having to Re-implement the maintenance
> plan.

> P.S.  Is there a better method of shrinking my database logs while using
> Log
> Shipping?

> Thanks,
> Bill

Log Shipping Resync

Post by Keith Kratochvi » Sat, 10 Jan 2004 22:31:37

Understanding how things work make troubleshooting failures easier!

Gaining additional knowledge by creating your own routines is never a bad thing either.

--
Keith

> Even if you don't ever NEED to "roll your own" logshipping
> It is absolutely one of the best experiences I've had. You really learn a
> lot
> I'm glad Keith Kratochvil and others took the time to put it somewhere on
> the web as
> reference.

> The only way to get it back in synch is to initiate a backup on your main
> server and start the whole process over.

> You want to shrink your logs files on the primary box?  Perhaps you could
> backup the logs WITH INIT and then ship them.  This would prevent them from
> growing.  You will have to use some type of mechanism to keep the old log
> files, however.

> Perhaps this will be helpful:
> http://sqlguy.home.comcast.net/logship.htm

> --
> Keith

> > Does anyone know how to reset or resync the Log Shipping Transaction on
> > the Standby Server?

> > I am in testing mode and ran a backup log dbname with truncate_only and
> > it caused my log shipping mechanism to fail and now I need to know how
> > to resync the process without having to Re-implement the maintenance
> > plan.

> > P.S.  Is there a better method of shrinking my database logs while using
> > Log
> > Shipping?

> > Thanks,
> > Bill

1. Log Shipping Utility - Corrupt Log Error

Error 9004: Log is corrupt

I am testing out the Log Shipping Utility from the SQL70 Resource Kit.
It was working fine for more than a day - restored about 15 GB of log
(~300 files). But the log restore failed on a particular file with a
message saying that the 'LOG is corrupt'. The log backup job on the
primary server was created using the maintenance wizard - this one has
the verify backup option set also. I tried restore of this log file from
the original file & copied the file to the secondary server - both give
the same error. I checked the LSN information & the File header in the
log files - everything matches. I restored a new database backup & tried
the process again. It seems to be running fine - it is now almost a
week.
My question is: has anyone encountered problems like these? The NIC
cards on the servers are fine (they have redundant NICs in fact). I
tried other file copy operations to make sure nothing is wrong &
moreover the log shipping is running fine now. I have the corrupt log
file so how can i find out what is wrong & why it is declared as
corrupt?

2. Pennsylvania - Oracle Data Analyst

3. Log Shipping: conflicting schedules with daily tran logs backpu jobs

4. DTSrun server A to Server B

5. Log shipping: Auto restore transaction log?

6. Problems with snapshot

7. Log shipping & missing of logs

8. integrity check w/ fkey

9. Log Shipping - Manually Restoring Logs

10. Log Shipping and NT Application log

11. Log Shipping - specifying NIC card to use when sending transaction log files

12. Log Shipping - logging users out

13. Log Shipping/Trans Log Backups