Audit trail insert, update delete in SQL Server 7.0

Audit trail insert, update delete in SQL Server 7.0

Post by Willia » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 02:52:45

I am having problems on how to audit insert update,
deletes in SQL server 7.0. I am using triggers which work
fine on most columns. My question is how to I audit a
table that has a text field column????

If there is another procedure than using triggers please
give me the scoop.

Audit trail insert, update delete in SQL Server 7.0

Post by oj » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 03:20:15

william,

with compatibility set at 70, you cannot reference text/ntext/image columns
in the inserted/deleted table. you can access the new value by joining to
the original table, however.

with sql2k, you do have access to these columns through Instead Of triggers.

-oj

Quote:> I am having problems on how to audit insert update,
> deletes in SQL server 7.0. I am using triggers which work
> fine on most columns. My question is how to I audit a
> table that has a text field column????

> If there is another procedure than using triggers please
> give me the scoop.

1. Audit trail of SQL updates/inserts done ?

We have a potential problem, with updates via sqlplus
to our database, that may have been incorrect and
unauthorised.

It would be good to be able to lay down an audit trail
of all SQL code submitted to the database - is it possible to
do this ?

I have used the trace facility previously (for debugging) ,
but this generates very verbose traces of all the recursive
calls as well - we are only interested in a trail of the initial
SQL code submitted by our users, via whatever client
(a mix of SQL*Forms3.0, SQL*Plus and Delphi clients)
- it is mainly the SQL*plus users that we would like to be able
to trace.

We don't need recovery ability - that is provided seperately -
we just want to be able to go back and look at what people have
done.

Thanks

Alan McCulloch

2. US-NJ: Springfield-ORACLE DBA PL SQL 8I 91 ERWIN PHYSICAL DATA MODEL

3. Audit-trails, audit-server

4. Oracle Licensing on Linux

5. Audit trails in sql 7.0

6. PHP-Progress database connection on Linux

7. Auditing Insert, update and deletes

8. OCI + AIX 4.2 -- runtime problem.

9. How do I audit insert/delete/update etc

10. Audit Trail in SQL Server 2000

11. Audit Trail for SQL Server 2000

12. Can i create an audit trail on an external database using SQL Server