Sql7 And Access97/2000

Post by Kevin_Loiacon » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 05:08:58

We want to move our access 97 application to sql and access 97/2000.  Just
bought sql7.0 and istalled on server (win NT 2000 server)

Installed sql client on win 98 machine.

What do I need to do to link the sample northwind table to my Access 97 MDB.
I have tried to connect via odbc but get an error.

Assume I know nothing.   Do i need to set up accounts or security in sql.
(our server is NT2000 but we use a workgroup for networking -tcp/ip and
netbui are running)

How can I check the sql server from my local machine.

Thanks

Kevin

Sql7 And Access97/2000

Post by mary chipma » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 07:02:55

the easiest way is to create a DSN that points to the Northwind
database on the server machine where you have installed SQL Server
(not the win 98 client machine). the ODBC administrator applet is in
the control panel. you'll need to have a login on the server that has
access to the Northwind sample database.

then choose File, Get external data, and link to the SQL Server
northwind tables.

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:08:58 -0500, "Kevin_Loiacono"

>We want to move our access 97 application to sql and access 97/2000.  Just
>bought sql7.0 and istalled on server (win NT 2000 server)

>Installed sql client on win 98 machine.

>What do I need to do to link the sample northwind table to my Access 97 MDB.
>I have tried to connect via odbc but get an error.

>Assume I know nothing.   Do i need to set up accounts or security in sql.
>(our server is NT2000 but we use a workgroup for networking -tcp/ip and
>netbui are running)

>How can I check the sql server from my local machine.

>Thanks

>Kevin

1. Access97 to MSDE/SQL7 (db backend for few VB6 Applications)

Greetings.

We're considering a port of the data side for a small number of commercial
VB6 client-server ADO applications to MSDE from Access97. However, we are
concerned about using MSDE - MS has said somethign to the effect of they
will not provide us any support if we have more than the 'limit' of 5 users
using the db at a time, something that gives product support a fit, and will
probably mean abandoning MSDE as an option (and SQL is not a palatable
solution costwise for 1/3 of our client base, which makes marketing
unhappy).

Has anyone here made a move from Access97 -> MSDE before? How did it go?
Is anyone here using MSDE in a commercial solution? What have been the
results so far?

Any and all feedback would be appreciated, both to here or to "dcameron at
tim.ca".

-Devin

2. SQL Server 7.0 and ADO Batch Updating (UpdateBatch)

3. Transaction Integrity between SQl7.0 and Access97

4. Query the Active Directory - what did I miss?

5. Newbie--upgrading to SQL7 from Access97

6. Access Database Password and VB

7. access97 to sql7...what are locks?

8. I'm missing something obvious here....

9. ntext and text Datatypes- with linked SQL7 tables in Access97

10. Access97 to SQL7 field type problem

11. Prob sql7 with ntext fld viewing in Access97 thru ODBC

12. SQL7 and Access97 DTS connect problem

13. Access97 to SQL7 -- intermittent long delays on 1 client - locks server for others