How to link external database

Post by Bruce G » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 07:52:48

I'm new to SQL Server 7.  I've been using Access 97-2000 for a long
time now and I'm used to being able to link external databases so I
can query between tables.  I can't figure out how to do that in SQL
Server 7.  I played around with the Data Transformation Services some
but that is for pulling in data to create a new table.  That is not
what I want to do. I just want to be able to create a view that pulls
from different tables external and internal.  Can anyone help me with
this? I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Bruce

How to link external database

Post by Don R. Watter » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 08:17:34

Hi Bruce,

    Look up Configuring Linked Servers in BOL (Books Online).

HTH.

--
Regards,

Don R. Watters
Data Group Manager
PhotoWorks, Inc.

Quote:> I'm new to SQL Server 7.  I've been using Access 97-2000 for a long
> time now and I'm used to being able to link external databases so I
> can query between tables.  I can't figure out how to do that in SQL
> Server 7.  I played around with the Data Transformation Services some
> but that is for pulling in data to create a new table.  That is not
> what I want to do. I just want to be able to create a view that pulls
> from different tables external and internal.  Can anyone help me with
> this? I would really appreciate any help.
> Thanks,
> Bruce

How to link external database

Post by William Chen [M » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 18:50:38

The following code create a linked server to an Access database.

USE master
GO
-- To use named parameters:
EXEC sp_addlinkedserver

GO

William Chen

1. How to Link External SQL Server Database Tables in multiple databases

Does anyone know how to link one table [Primary Table within the Primary
database] to another set of associated tables in related databases 2, 3,
4, etc.

I can accomplish this very easily in Access97, but have been unable to
determine how to achieve the same using in SQL Server 7.0 with sp1.

Table 1 contains common information to all lower level databases.
Information is segregated by function and for performance and scaling
reasons.

I have only been able to import the table into related databases, which
is not really what i want to do. What I want is to have tables in lower
level or related databases actually be able to reference and related to
[in diagrams and relationships] the table in the primary database.

Any assistance would be appreciated;
Jeremiah

2. Visual Basic and Clipper 5.2?

3. HOWTO: Create Oracle Database Link to an external ODBC Database

4. Error 7031 from Service Control Manager

5. Link External Database

6. ODBC performance and autocommit

7. LINKING EXTERNAL DATABASE

8. SERIAL wrap-around

9. Linking to external database/tables

10. Database Link to External files/tables

11. Code for Linking to External Databases

12. Linking External Databases?