SQL connection problem with XP

Post by Meeg » Mon, 24 Dec 2001 10:59:50

I am running SQL 7 and Windows XP Home.  Since upgrading to XP I can't
connect to SQL.  I am running the desktop version (server and client are
same machine).  When I try to connect I get an error "SQL server does not
exist or access denied.  The only service I see running is DTC.  Is there a
SQL server service that needs to run in this "desktop" scenario with XP.
Everything worked fine in under Windows ME (well at least as far as SQL!).
I am using the sa account and TCP/IP on the client configuration.

Thanks for any help !!

SQL connection problem with XP

Post by Kevin Connel » Tue, 25 Dec 2001 00:51:39

sql may not be started - try NET START MSSQLSERVER from the command line.

Quote:> I am running SQL 7 and Windows XP Home.  Since upgrading to XP I can't
> connect to SQL.  I am running the desktop version (server and client are
> same machine).  When I try to connect I get an error "SQL server does not
> exist or access denied.  The only service I see running is DTC.  Is there
> SQL server service that needs to run in this "desktop" scenario with XP.
> Everything worked fine in under Windows ME (well at least as far as SQL!).
> I am using the sa account and TCP/IP on the client configuration.

> Thanks for any help !!

SQL connection problem with XP

Post by Meeg » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 23:04:04

I get an invalid service message when I try to start SQL at the command
prompt.

> sql may not be started - try NET START MSSQLSERVER from the command line.

> > I am running SQL 7 and Windows XP Home.  Since upgrading to XP I can't
> > connect to SQL.  I am running the desktop version (server and client are
> > same machine).  When I try to connect I get an error "SQL server does
not
> > exist or access denied.  The only service I see running is DTC.  Is
there
> > SQL server service that needs to run in this "desktop" scenario with XP.
> > Everything worked fine in under Windows ME (well at least as far as
SQL!).
> > I am using the sa account and TCP/IP on the client configuration.

> > Thanks for any help !!

SQL connection problem with XP

Post by Kevin Connel » Fri, 28 Dec 2001 10:38:02

Sounds like XP screwed up the service database or something.  Try
reinstalling.  If you have critical data, you might want to fire it up in
interactive single user mode to dump the db's first.

> I get an invalid service message when I try to start SQL at the command
> prompt.

> > sql may not be started - try NET START MSSQLSERVER from the command
line.

> > > I am running SQL 7 and Windows XP Home.  Since upgrading to XP I can't
> > > connect to SQL.  I am running the desktop version (server and client
are
> > > same machine).  When I try to connect I get an error "SQL server does
> not
> > > exist or access denied.  The only service I see running is DTC.  Is
> there
> > > SQL server service that needs to run in this "desktop" scenario with
XP.
> > > Everything worked fine in under Windows ME (well at least as far as
> SQL!).
> > > I am using the sa account and TCP/IP on the client configuration.

> > > Thanks for any help !!

SQL connection problem with XP

Post by Meeg » Fri, 28 Dec 2001 15:28:37

Sounds like a good plan.  I think I will uninstall and reinstall SQL.  How
do I launch the single user mode to save my data first?

> Sounds like XP screwed up the service database or something.  Try
> reinstalling.  If you have critical data, you might want to fire it up in
> interactive single user mode to dump the db's first.

> > I get an invalid service message when I try to start SQL at the command
> > prompt.

> > > sql may not be started - try NET START MSSQLSERVER from the command
> line.

> are
> > not
> > there
> XP.
> > SQL!).

SQL connection problem with XP

Post by Ashwin Kowtha [M » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 23:40:44

Hi Meegs,
 From the MSSQL7\Data directory of your previous install, make a copy of all the MDF and LDF files
associated with your user databases. You need not copy master, tempdb, model, msdb as they will be
recreated when you reinstall SQL.

Go ahead and clean up your messed up SQL install by doing the following
1) Delete the MSSQL7 folder
2) In the registry, delete the following keys

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server 7.0
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer
HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSSQLServer
HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\Services\SQLServerAgent

3) Reboot and reinstall SQL.
4) Copy your user databases's MDF and LDF files into the new install's MSSQL7\Data folder.
5) Use sp_attachdb to attach the databases to the SQL Server. More information on this SP is in SQL
Books online

HTH

Ashwin Kowtha [MS]

Please reply only to the newsgroup so that others can benefit. When posting,
please state the version of SQL Server being used and the error number/exact
error message text received, if any.
--------------------

>>> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect

>>> Subject: Re: SQL connection problem with XP

>>> Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 06:28:37 GMT

news.maxwell.syr.edu!news-out.visi.com!hermes.visi.com!nnxp1.twtelecom.net!news-east.rr.com!news-
west.rr.com!cyclone.kc.rr.com!news.kc.rr.com!cyclone3.kc.rr.com!news3.kc.rr.com!
typhoon.kc.rr.com.POSTED!not-for-mail

>>> Sounds like a good plan.  I think I will uninstall and reinstall SQL.  How
>>> do I launch the single user mode to save my data first?

>>> can't
>>> does

1. sql server win xp connection problems

I've been trying to install a program to a remote users system that utilizes
a SQL server.
The problem is I can not establish connection to SQL server 2000 from the
remote users Windows XP computer.
The XP computer can connect to SQL server on my home Development Machine but
not to the office database server.

I'm using a program called tcpdump for Windows to monitor the network
traffic to and from the SQL server and am able to tell that the connection
request is making it to the SQL server but the server is not replying to the
request.

This the what the traffic should look like

request

11:15:18.165000 IP c-24-130-6-154.we.client2.attbi.com.3337 > PCS-SQL1.1433:
S 642143986:642143986(0) win 16384 <mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK> (DF)

response
11:15:18.165071 IP PCS-SQL1.1433 > c-24-130-6-154.we.client2.attbi.com.3337:
S 149363395:149363395(0) ack 642143987 win 64240 <mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK>
(DF)

but all I'm getting is tree attempts to connect and no response

11:19:09.502050 IP 64.72.40.187.4376 > PCS-SQL1.1433: S
3955240680:3955240680(0) win 64240 <mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK> (DF)
11:19:12.480406 IP 64.72.40.187.4376 > PCS-SQL1.1433: S
3955240680:3955240680(0) win 64240 <mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK> (DF)
11:19:18.478594 IP 64.72.40.187.4376 > PCS-SQL1.1433: S
3955240680:3955240680(0) win 64240 <mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK> (DF)

Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about resolving this issue?

Benjamin Knigge

2. Technical Support Engineers and Managers working in an Oracle environment needed!

3. Windows XP Connection Problem!

4. backup, SQL 7.0 servers, BSOD, BLOCKSIZE etc - solution

5. Connection problems in XP

6. Preventing automatic update upon program close

7. Connection problem in XP

8. mSQL

9. MSDE W2K/XP Connection problem

10. SSPI connection problem for XP

11. MSDE 2K/XP Connection problem

12. MS Office XP make problem with connection with DW

13. Analysis sevices COnnection problem form excel xp