Migration from SQL 6.5 to SQL 7.0 to eliminate blocking.txt

Post by David Judkin » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Subject: Migration from SQL 6.5 to SQL 7.0 to eliminate blocking
Date: Monday, October 11, 1999 11:26 AM

My agency operates a browser based point-of-sale system to sell and issue
hunting and angling licenses and tags using  Microsoft IIS as the web server
and SQL 6.5 as the database server. The database is complex and highly
normalized and most business rules are enforced through stored procedures.

During peak sales periods when document sales rates may reach 130-190 per
minute, we frequently see blocking which quickly  locks the SQL server. If
we do not quickly kill the parent blocking process, the SQL server must be
rebooted.

Both the web and database servers are finely tuned, and we are considering
other possible solutions, one of which is migrating to SQL 7.0 with its row
locking and promised improved performance.

I am seeking  information (other than Microsoft advertising hype) from
others who migrated to SQL 7.0 for the purpose of improving database
update/insert performance. I am especially interested in responses from
those who experienced deadlocking under SQL 6.5.  Is SQL 7.0 likely to solve
our problem?

Thanks!

Dave Judkins
Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife

Migration from SQL 6.5 to SQL 7.0 to eliminate blocking.txt

Post by Michael Gladshtey » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

After migrating to SQL 7 we don't see any blocking/locking. We used to have
them a lot before.
Granularity of locking is much smaller.

Quote:>Subject: Migration from SQL 6.5 to SQL 7.0 to eliminate blocking