timeout expired and/or PCAnywhere hangs???

timeout expired and/or PCAnywhere hangs???

Post by Jerry Rhod » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 04:03:53

The following configuration ran with no problem for months.  For the
past 8 weeks, 1 of 3 problem situations now occur about every 7 days.

Server#1:  W2K (SP2), vendor application calls my ADO 2.1 COM
component, COM component performs around 10,000 reads per day to SQL
Server DB#1/table#1, COM component performs around 10,000 inserts per
day to SQL Server DB#2/table#2, ASP reads DB#1/table#1 lightly (coded
"with(nolock)), ASP reads DB#2/table#2 (coded "with(nolock))
sometimes, heavily

Server#2:  W2K (SP2), SQL Server 2K (SP2), PCanywhere 10.5.1, IIS 5,
DB#1/table#1, DB#2/table#2

About every 7 days, 1 of 3 problems will occur with about equal
probability:

1)  "ALL" COM component inserts to DB#2/Table#2 get "timeout expired
-2147217871";  COM component reads to DB#1/Table#1 continue to be
successfull;  ASP reads to both tables continue to be successfull;  I
don't see any lock problems;  event viewer shows nothing; problem goes
away by going into SQL Server Client/Enterprise Manager and inserting
1 row into DB#2/Table#2;

2)  PCanywhere 10.5.1 from my workstation (W2K Pro) connects to
Server#2, gets the black message box, but does not get a login box
(ie. hangs);  problem goes away by shutting PCanywhere down and
bringing it back up

3)  both problems occur at the same time

The obvious question is "what changed", but to the best of my
knowledge, nothing.  Any ideas on how to track down this problem would
be appreciated.

Jerry

Post by Jerry Rhod » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 01:18:03

> The following configuration ran with no problem for months.  For the
> past 8 weeks, 1 of 3 problem situations now occur about every 7 days.

> Server#1:  W2K (SP2), vendor application calls my ADO 2.1 COM
> component, COM component performs around 10,000 reads per day to SQL
> Server DB#1/table#1, COM component performs around 10,000 inserts per
> day to SQL Server DB#2/table#2, ASP reads DB#1/table#1 lightly (coded
> "with(nolock)), ASP reads DB#2/table#2 (coded "with(nolock))
> sometimes, heavily

> Server#2:  W2K (SP2), SQL Server 2K (SP2), PCanywhere 10.5.1, IIS 5,
> DB#1/table#1, DB#2/table#2

> About every 7 days, 1 of 3 problems will occur with about equal
> probability:

> 1)  "ALL" COM component inserts to DB#2/Table#2 get "timeout expired
> -2147217871";  COM component reads to DB#1/Table#1 continue to be
> successfull;  ASP reads to both tables continue to be successfull;  I
> don't see any lock problems;  event viewer shows nothing; problem goes
> away by going into SQL Server Client/Enterprise Manager and inserting
> 1 row into DB#2/Table#2;

> 2)  PCanywhere 10.5.1 from my workstation (W2K Pro) connects to
> Server#2, gets the black message box, but does not get a login box
> (ie. hangs);  problem goes away by shutting PCanywhere down and
> bringing it back up

> 3)  both problems occur at the same time

> The obvious question is "what changed", but to the best of my
> knowledge, nothing.  Any ideas on how to track down this problem would
> be appreciated.

> Jerry

Turns out, these are two completely separate problems.  The SQL Server
problem is caused by the Transaction Log filling up and auto
expanding.  At the end of expansion, SQL Server continues to lock out
the ADO inserts.  It's a bug in SQL Server 2000.  The PCAnywhere
problem is still a mystery.

timeout expired and/or PCAnywhere hangs???

Post by John Bel » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 01:54:23

Quote:> > 2)  PCanywhere 10.5.1 from my workstation (W2K Pro) connects to
> > Server#2, gets the black message box, but does not get a login box
> > (ie. hangs);  problem goes away by shutting PCanywhere down and
> > bringing it back up

> > Jerry

> Turns out, these are two completely separate problems.  The SQL Server
> problem is caused by the Transaction Log filling up and auto
> expanding.  At the end of expansion, SQL Server continues to lock out
> the ADO inserts.  It's a bug in SQL Server 2000.  The PCAnywhere
> problem is still a mystery.

When we had PC anywhere running there was all sorts of problems with it
* periodically, never got down to the reasons though :(

John

Post by Stride » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:11:05

> > > 2)  PCanywhere 10.5.1 from my workstation (W2K Pro) connects to
> > > Server#2, gets the black message box, but does not get a login box
> > > (ie. hangs);  problem goes away by shutting PCanywhere down and
> > > bringing it back up

> > > Jerry

> > Turns out, these are two completely separate problems.  The SQL Server
> > problem is caused by the Transaction Log filling up and auto
> > expanding.  At the end of expansion, SQL Server continues to lock out
> > the ADO inserts.  It's a bug in SQL Server 2000.  The PCAnywhere
> > problem is still a mystery.

> When we had PC anywhere running there was all sorts of problems with it
>* periodically, never got down to the reasons though :(

Once we had experience with Term Server we ripped out PCAnywhere and have
never looked back.

However, with W2K Pro that's not an option as far as I know.

Perhaps VNC?

Quote:> John

1. [OBDC SQL Server Driver][Timeout Expired] - How to reconfigure the timeout

When running a query on a very large database, I receive this error after
30-50 seconds:
[Microsoft][OBDC SQL Server Driver][Timeout Expired]

We are using NT and 98. I receive this error message running the queries on
the client and the server. We just switched over from Access 97, which was
unable to handle the amount of data. Using Access 97 ODBC pass-through
queries, we recevied a similar error message, but it was a simple fix -
select properties and change the timeout.

This doesn't happen with queries that return only a small number of rows.
The queries I am receiving the error message on are attempting to return 7-8
million rows.

The default timeout setting is 10 minutes, and so far that is the only
setting I can find.

I appreciate any help on this matter!

2. Returning a ResultSet from Oracle to Java

3. Hang when Installing MSDN SS2KENT over expired SQL Server 2000 Eval

4. Help! Client unable to establish a connection...Desktop Edition

5. TIMEOUT EXPIRED

6. HPL Errors

7. Timeout Expired

8. Need Oracle DBA in Bay Area(I am NOT headhunter)

9. timeout expired!!!

10. Timeout Expired message

11. ODBC Query timeout expired problem!!

12. ODBC connection Falied, Timeout Expired

13. Timeout expired