upgrading from evaluation edition to developer edition

upgrading from evaluation edition to developer edition

Post by Dan » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 02:44:00

Is there a way to put in the product key to the eval edition which will
convert the eval edition to a regular product so I don't have to install the
developer edition? I don't want to have to import all of the data again if I
don't have to.

Thanks,

Dan

upgrading from evaluation edition to developer edition

Post by Arulkumar Elumalai [MS » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 04:10:29

Dan,

Eval edition is for evalutation purposes only (of the supported features)
and not for development or test usage. It also has a 120 day time bomb.
You cannot convert it to another edition by just adding a product key.

Also an edition upgrade of eval to developer is not supported.

Thanx
ARUL

Quote:> Is there a way to put in the product key to the eval edition which will
> convert the eval edition to a regular product so I don't have to install
the
> developer edition? I don't want to have to import all of the data again if
> don't have to.

> Thanks,

> Dan

upgrading from evaluation edition to developer edition

Post by Suresh B. Kandoth [M » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 11:36:23

Is this what you are looking for ?

INF: Upgrade to SQL 2000 Database After Evaluation Ed. Expires
Q281574
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/Articles/q281/5/74.asp

Suresh B. Kandoth

upgrading from evaluation edition to developer edition

Post by Quinn Ston » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 03:41:18

Article Q281574 says you can do this, but it won't work
for me. I have the eval version installed and it has
expired. I purchased the Developer edition, and when I run
the installation wizard, the "Upgrade your existing
installation" radio button is disabled.

Anyone have an idea?

upgrading from evaluation edition to developer edition

Post by Suresh B. Kandoth [M » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 08:22:30

Normally it will let you perform the upgrade.
But since it is not letting you do the upgrade, there is a workaround you
could use if you wish.

1. Make a copy of all your mdf , ndf and ldf files. If they are in a single
DATA folder of MSSQL, then just make a copy of the whole folder. Let su
assume this is D:\MSSQL\DATA.
2. Use Control Panel >> Add/Remove programs to uninstall SQL server
3. Make sure cleanup is done or manually clean up the left over components
4. Install the retail version. During installation choose the same path for
the data files as seen in step 1
5. Make sure you are able to start all sql services
6. Stop all sql services
7. Replace the DATA folder with old copy.
8. Start sql services

Open SQL Server Enterprise Manager and check if everything is fine.

Suresh B. Kandoth

upgrading from evaluation edition to developer edition

Post by Suresh B. Kandoth [M » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 09:30:16

A clarification on this:
The Knowledge Base Article Q281574 has been updated now with specifics on
what edition can be upgraded to.
You can upgrade from SQL Server Enterprise Evaluation Edition to SQL Server
Personal, Standard, or Enterprise Edition.

So, you can use the workaround mentioned in the previous post to rebuild
the server.

Suresh B. Kandoth

1. Problem in upgrading expired SQL 2000 Evaluation Edition to SQL 2000 Developer Edition

Hi friends,

Im have done my Uni final year project using SQL 2000 evalauation edition,
now  the evaluation edition had expired, I had search the web for the
solution and found this article
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q281/5/74.ASP but it says,
run the setup from a retail version of SQL 2000 CD and Select the "Upgrade
your existing installation" option. When i run the setup using the developer
edition, that option was disabled in the setup screen, i only can either do
a New Instance setup or Advance setup.

Can anyone pls help me out in this, i need to recover my database so badly..

Thanking in advance
muraly

2. VB->SQLServer CreateRecordset & Slow machines??

3. Can't upgrade eval edition to developer edition

4. Personal Oracle 8.03 and Dev2000 2.1 - Compatable?

5. Is there a easy way to change evaluation edition to a regular edition

6. PL/SQL Variable Question

7. Upgrade Desktop Edition to Standard Edition

8. Technical Support / Sacramento / Unify Corporation

9. Upgrading SQL server standard edition to enterprise edition

10. Upgrade from Desktop Edition to Standard Edition?

11. Upgrading SQ7 Standard Edition to SQL7 Enterprise Edition

12. BI Accelerator Requires SQL Server Enterprise Edition or Developer Edition