SQL2000 Merge replication : Cannot initialise the subscriptions ?

SQL2000 Merge replication : Cannot initialise the subscriptions ?

Post by jono_davis74 » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:27:29

I am having a number of problems with the merge replication is SQL2000 -
Win2000 Server.  The subscribers are not connecting and replicating the
data as required.  The NSLOOKUP statement finds the servers on the
network and I can ensure that there is connectivity between them.
I am consistently getting the error : The merge process could not
initialise the subscription, The process has been retried the specified
number of times (10) without succeeding.

I have since increased the 'retry attempts' to 9999 in the advanced tab
of the steps property for that particular subscription.

Does anyone have ANY IDEAS on what else I can do,

Would you recommend a looping process whereby on failure of step 3 it
will loopback and start again at step 1.  I don't feel comfortable doing
this as there must be a problem if after 9999 retries step 3 still
fails, it could keep trying forever, I need to address another issue
somewhere ?

PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED,
THANKS IN ADVANCE
Johannesburg, South Africa

--
Best Regards
 Jonathan Davis

SQL2000 Merge replication : Cannot initialise the subscriptions ?

Post by Hilary Cotte » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 21:11:20

I would not recommend it.

can you check this out to see if it applies. I realize you
are running at least one SQL 2000 server.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;
[LN];278629

Also can we get some more details about your topology?

Is is on a local network, across the internet, vpn,
universe?

UNC or FTP?  Push or Pull.

I would recommend switching to the slow agent profile and
see what happens.  Expand replication monitor, expand
agents, expand the Merge agents folder. Right click your
Merge agent, and select Agent Profiles, and then select
the slow agent profile.

Stop and start your agent, and wait and see.

Tot Zeins!

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

>I am having a number of problems with the merge

replication is SQL2000 -
Quote:>Win2000 Server.  The subscribers are not connecting and
replicating the
>data as required.  The NSLOOKUP statement finds the
servers on the
>network and I can ensure that there is connectivity
between them.
>I am consistently getting the error : The merge process
could not
>initialise the subscription, The process has been retried
the specified
>number of times (10) without succeeding.

>I have since increased the 'retry attempts' to 9999 in
the advanced tab
>of the steps property for that particular subscription.

>Does anyone have ANY IDEAS on what else I can do,

>Would you recommend a looping process whereby on failure
of step 3 it
>will loopback and start again at step 1.  I don't feel
comfortable doing
>this as there must be a problem if after 9999 retries
step 3 still
>fails, it could keep trying forever, I need to address
another issue
>somewhere ?

>PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED,
>THANKS IN ADVANCE
>Johannesburg, South Africa

>--
>Best Regards
> Jonathan Davis

>.

SQL2000 Merge replication : Cannot initialise the subscriptions ?

Post by jono_davis74 » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 22:10:48

Hi there Hilary, thanks for the response !!

We are running seven SQL 2000 machines, all SP2 on Windows 2000 Server.

The subscription type is PUSH for all subscriptions, no anonymous
subscriptions exist.

The servers are on a LAN connected over routers on Frame Relay lines -
64K Bandwidth.  The CIR on the lines is 8 K however
The distributor and Publisher are on the same 100MB/s backbone

\\UNC is being used \\

I have over the course of this morning changed the profile from the
one that I created to the default ' SLOW LINK ' - the results have
beeen better.

I am still receiving failures rather consistenly however, basically,
I dont feel confident to turn my back on it for more than half an
hour - scary !!

Any other suggestions would be great!!!!

THANKS AGAIN

--
Best Regards
 Jonathan Davis

SQL2000 Merge replication : Cannot initialise the subscriptions ?

Post by hilary Cotte » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 00:22:47

change your distribution/merge agents to run continuously
using the -Continuous switch at the end of your merge
agent run agent step .

Then schedule your job to run every 10 minutes.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

>Hi there Hilary, thanks for the response !!

>We are running seven SQL 2000 machines, all SP2 on

Windows 2000 Server.
Quote:

>The subscription type is PUSH for all subscriptions, no
anonymous
>subscriptions exist.

>The servers are on a LAN connected over routers on Frame
Relay lines -
>64K Bandwidth.  The CIR on the lines is 8 K however
>The distributor and Publisher are on the same 100MB/s
backbone

>\\UNC is being used \\

>I have over the course of this morning changed the
profile from the
>one that I created to the default ' SLOW LINK ' - the
results have
>beeen better.

>I am still receiving failures rather consistenly however,
basically,
>I dont feel confident to turn my back on it for more than
half an
>hour - scary !!

>Any other suggestions would be great!!!!

>THANKS AGAIN

>--
>Best Regards
> Jonathan Davis

>.

1. How do I manually initialise a merge subscription (SQL7)

I am having a problem initialising a merge subcription between SQL7 and
MSDE. Whenever I do it between local machines it completes fine but as
soon as I try to do it to a remote machine it starts fine but after
about 20 minutes I get an error along the lines of "the server is
suspect and did not respond for 10 minutes".

The snapshot is only about 30Mb and I have had no problems setting up
the subscription between two SQL7 installations (using VPN over the
internet)

I have absolutely no idea how to go about manually initialising the
subscription at the server. I can copy the snapshot files across but how
do I then install them?

I have tried taking a backup and using that as the initial snapshot but
then I get the error:

Last Command: {call sp_MSdropconstraints (N'Payments')}

Line 1: Incorrect syntax near 'Methods'.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tim.

2. HELP DESPERATLY NEEDED

3. Cannot re-initialise or drop subscriptions

4. DSN question

5. Merge replication cannot create subscription

6. Update a dbf table?

7. Cannot create Pull subscription to Merge Publication

8. DTS & licensing

9. Problem: Merge replication with pull subscription over Internet

10. Merge Replication - Jet Database Subscription

11. Pull Subscription in MERGE Replication

12. Win98/MSDE Merge Replication Always reinitializes subscription (Anonymous)