Gotcha's with SQL 7.0 during NT 4.0 to Win2k upgrade

Gotcha's with SQL 7.0 during NT 4.0 to Win2k upgrade

Post by Sandy Woo » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 20:47:21

I'm preparing to upgrade my SQL 7.0 servers from NT 4.0
to Win2k Adv Server and I'm looking for any 'gotcha's'
that anyone has seen. It looks pretty straightforward but
I'm curious what anyone else has seen.

Gotcha's with SQL 7.0 during NT 4.0 to Win2k upgrade

Post by Keith Kratochvi » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 21:02:49

None that I know of.  Just make sure that you know how to use BACKUP and
RESTORE to move your databases!  Also, make sure that you can recreate your
jobs.  Finally, you might want to look into scripting your (database)
logins.

INF: How To Transfer Logins and Passwords Between SQL Servers
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q246133

INF: Moving SQL Server 7.0 Databases to a New Server with BACKUP and RESTORE
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q304692

HOW TO: Move Databases Between Computers that are Running SQL Server
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314546

--
Keith, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> I'm preparing to upgrade my SQL 7.0 servers from NT 4.0
> to Win2k Adv Server and I'm looking for any 'gotcha's'
> that anyone has seen. It looks pretty straightforward but
> I'm curious what anyone else has seen.

Gotcha's with SQL 7.0 during NT 4.0 to Win2k upgrade

Post by Greg Linwoo » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 01:15:42

Hi Sandy

Make sure you update your database statistics after you've finished the
upgrade, otherwise sql2k might not work as efficiently as it shoud.

Make sure you've got a full backup before you do the upgrade.

Cheers,
Greg Linwood
Search the Google archive before re-posting:
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sql...

Quote:> I'm preparing to upgrade my SQL 7.0 servers from NT 4.0
> to Win2k Adv Server and I'm looking for any 'gotcha's'
> that anyone has seen. It looks pretty straightforward but
> I'm curious what anyone else has seen.

1. Upgrading SQL 6.5 sp3 to SQL 7.0 sp1 on NT 4.0

We are going to be upgrading our SQL Server 6.5 sp3 to SQL 7.0 sp1
using the upgrade wizard and using 6.5 compatibility level.  We have
done a lot of reading BOL and searching the SQL websites for any and
all information we can find.  If anyone has done this and has anything
they would like to share as far as things to watch out for or problems
encountered during or after the upgrade your response would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. PROBLEM: Cursor inside Trigger AGAIN!

3. Can't See Server Name during SQL 6.5 Installation on NT 4.0

4. pgsql/src/include/commands (sequence.h)

5. SQL Server 7.0 on NT Server to SQL Server 7.0 on win2k Pro

6. Passing Parameters to Sybase Stored Procedures

7. Mailing List App

8. Effects of Upgrading from Winnt NT 4.0 w/ SQL 7.0 to Win 2K

9. SQL Server 7.0 on NT Server to SQL Server 7.0 on win2k Pro

10. upgrade NT 3.51 with sql 6.0 to NT 4.0 with sql server 6.5

11. Can't add ODBC on SQL 7.0 - NT server 4.0 (sp4)