Which database language to learn?

Post by Carolyn Lev » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I'm confused. I don't know which database language to learn. I'm an
engineer trying to make a career change to computer programmer.

What are the differences between Oracle, MS-SQL and MS-Access???

With what language would I find the most entry-level positions?

Any advise would be appreciated!

Carolyn

Which database language to learn?

Post by S McNai » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Carolyn,

The common denominator between the databases you mentioned is "SQL".
This is "structrued querry language", and is an ANSI standard.
But, that really doesn't answer your question....

Each of the above is a "database platform", with its own inherant
command language.
Oracle's is called "PL/SQL"
MS-SQL & Sybase use "T-SQL" (with personal nuances to both)
Access is a "desktop" database that uses a derived form of sql.

Access is more of a "desktop" platform where MS-SQL, Sybase, Informix, &
Oracle
are true client-server big boys.
Access is more like Foxpro, Paradox, Lotus Notes, SQL Anywhee, etc.
Its not intended to be used for LARGE implementations.

What you should really consider is what programming languages to learn
as in
either Visual Basic or Visual C++. (I wont go into that argument...:-} )

Once you learn either of these, then you need to learn how to connect to

one or more of the above SQL-Servers and how to access data from them.

There are four main players in the Database market:
Oracle, Microsoft, Sybase, & Informix.
ALL use some derivative of ANSI-SQL.
Oracle claims (and seems) to have the largest market share.

If you are interested in trying out SQL or "getting your feet wet",
I suggest the book:
   The Practical SQL Handbook (ISBN: 0-201-44787-8)
It comes with a "run time" version of Sybase's SQL Anywhere
that you can load on your PC and play with.

If you want to know more about what will be expected from you
as a Database Programmer or Administrator, and more importantly
 HOW MUCH YOU CAN MAKE, I suggest you use the Sunday
paper in your area and make a few calls to the recruiters in your area.
Ask them which of the DB Platforms is MOST in demand?
How much can I make PER HOUR as junior or senior VB or VC++
programmer on any of the platforms?
Ask to talk to a "technical recruiter", and ask there opinion on the
different
languages. (Keep in mind VB v. VC++ is like; taste great, less filling)
Oracle v. Sybase v. MS-SQL v. Informix; preference is subject to the
salesman's interpretation :-}

Keep in mind, when you talk to a recruiter, the FIRST thing they will
ask
is "how much do you charge".
Your answer should always be "How much can YOU GET ME???"
If they wont give you a straight answer, I always tell them I charge
$110per hour (and got it once!!). They will usually say they can't
afford you. Then ask them "What CAN you get me?".
Recruiters are like "Car Salesmen"!!!

To give you some examples to go on, I'm NOT a programmer, I'm a
Database Administrator (DBA), and have worked on Sybase, Oracle, &
MS-SQL.I know a little VB5 and work CLOSELY with programmers.
My pay seems somewhat comparable to a programmer that works with
any of the above Databases.
In consulting, EVERYTHING is negotiable!!
Depending on the contract, location, length, etc..etc..
I have made $40hr (1yr contract, jr DBA), $50hr (6mo contract),
$60hr (9mo contract), $80 hr (3mo contract), etc, etc
When you get into consulting, ASK FOR A LOT, and negotiate
from there.

Hope that helps you out a bit.
Good luck, and may your god go with you.
Scott McNair

> I'm confused. I don't know which database language to learn. I'm an
> engineer trying to make a career change to computer programmer.

> What are the differences between Oracle, MS-SQL and MS-Access???

> With what language would I find the most entry-level positions?

> Any advise would be appreciated!

> Carolyn

NOTICE: Sending unsolicited email adversti*ts to this
address are violations of Arizona State Law and may be
pursued by the Office of the Maricopa County Prosecutor
and the Office of the Arizona State Attorney General.
Scott McNair smcnair VIA mail. maricopa. gov
Spammers should:

Which database language to learn?

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Carolyn,

 Both Oracle and SQL Server use dialects of SQL - so learn one and
you've learnt both - there is obviously some platform specific stuff as
well.  Access is a beast of it's own - it has a sort-of SQL language
that purists hate, though it is powerful.

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd

Which database language to learn?

Post by Ng K C Pa » Fri, 28 Aug 1998 04:00:00

You should also learn JAVA, VBA, C/C++

: Hi Carolyn,
:
:     Why do you ask which you should learn?
:
:     I think you should be asking which should I learn FIRST!  Go out and
: talk to some headhunters, er, personnel placement counselors.  Find out
: where the demand is best in the market you are in.  Be aware that you are
: talking about two different classes of product.  Both Oracle and MS-SQL
: where designed to be used as client/server systems while Access was intended
: to be a single user desktop DBMS..
:
:     I recommend that you focus on either MS-SQL or Oracle and as soon as you
: are comfortable with your initial choice start learning the other.
:
: regards
:
: Jerry
:
:
:
: >I'm confused. I don't know which database language to learn. I'm an
: >engineer trying to make a career change to computer programmer.
: >
: >What are the differences between Oracle, MS-SQL and MS-Access???
: >
: >With what language would I find the most entry-level positions?
: >
: >Any advise would be appreciated!
: >
: >Carolyn
:
:

1. Which database language to learn?

I'm confused. I don't know which database language to learn. I'm an
engineer trying to make a career change to computer programmer.

What are the differences between Oracle, MS-SQL and MS-Access???

With what language would I find the most entry-level positions?

Any advise would be appreciated!

Carolyn

2. Informix Wisconsin Benchmarking software

3. VOS Database Support (on Stratus)

4. Need your help in learning Database Language,

5. Data Dictionary

6. Best learning strategy for learning web database prog.

7. learning sql-language

8. Which language should I learn?

9. Learn a language online in realtime video and audio

10. Which is the best language to learn?

11. Learning Delphi As a 2nd Language?