sql server limitation of 2 kb per page

Post by Ron Talma » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Asaf,

The 2K limit is a strict one; it works out generally to 1962 bytes/row
for tables with many rows on a page.

Very long data can be handled in text or image data types.

If you must have a very wide table, you may have to partition it into
two tables in a 1-1 relationship.

MS has announced that SQL Server, 7.0, will have 8K pages.

Ron

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997 10:24:13 -0700, "Asaf Vishna"

>Hello,

>We found  that SQL Server has a limitation of 2 kilobytes (a little
>less even) per page, so the total number of bytes in a row cannot exceed

>approx. 2000 bytes.

>I would like to know how to solve the limitation of SQL Server: only
>2KB of data in a row (or didn't you?).

>Thanks,

>With best regards

>Smart Solutions

sql server limitation of 2 kb per page

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Asaf - you can't it's a built-in restriction.

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd (MS Solution Provider)
 Using Virtual Access 4.02 build 244 (32-bit) on NT 4.0 SP3

sql server limitation of 2 kb per page

Post by Russell Field » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Asaf,

        If you need a row bigger than 1962 bytes you will need to create two (or
more) tables with a one-to-one relationship.  (Or one-to-zero-or-one if
some of the columns can be null.)
        The select can return a lot more (I just did a select that returned 5400
bytes) and you can use a view to do this join automatically.
        For inserts and updates, however, you must ins/upd each table
individually, so the application will not be totally transparent to this.

        Now the style comments:  It is rare that we have pushed any table to the
point that 1962 is a concern.  It often indicates that the table needs some
redesign, since it is really several tables prejoined by a failure to
design it out fully.

-- Russell Fields