Tasks not running when SQL Executive using local system account

Tasks not running when SQL Executive using local system account

Post by Jeff Sander » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

When I try to run tasks on a server in which the SQL Executive uses the
local system account, the tasks do not run.  If I create a separate
account for the service to run under, it works fine.

Can someone tell me what may be causing the problem when using the local
system account?

Tasks not running when SQL Executive using local system account

Post by BPMargoli » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Jeff,

The local system account has no rights or privileges outside of the local
box. So, for example, it cannot access data located on the network.

Quote:> When I try to run tasks on a server in which the SQL Executive uses the
> local system account, the tasks do not run.  If I create a separate
> account for the service to run under, it works fine.

> Can someone tell me what may be causing the problem when using the local
> system account?

> --

Tasks not running when SQL Executive using local system account

Post by Jeff Sander » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

The database server and SQL Executive are running locally on the machine.
There should be no need to access network resources.

We have 6 other servers running SQL Server, with SQL Executive running
under the local system account.  We have no problems with those.

The task runs a user defined stored procedure, which just updates
statistics for about 10 tables locally.

Thank you,
Jeff

> Jeff,

> The local system account has no rights or privileges outside of the local
> box. So, for example, it cannot access data located on the network.

> > When I try to run tasks on a server in which the SQL Executive uses the
> > local system account, the tasks do not run.  If I create a separate
> > account for the service to run under, it works fine.

> > Can someone tell me what may be causing the problem when using the
local
> > system account?

> > --

Tasks not running when SQL Executive using local system account

Post by BPMargoli » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Jeff,

The only difference between the local system account and a "regular" NT
account is what I outlined. If you are positive that the procedure runs
under a regular NT account, but not under the local system account, then it
would seem very strong evidence that somewhere, somehow in the task that is
failing, there is a reference to a network resource.

From the information that you have provided, that is the only logical
conclusion. This does not preclude the task failing for another reason
having nothing to do with the account under which SQL Executive is running.
But, to make the point again, from the information you have provided, the
only logical conclusion is the one I provided. If are absolutely sure that
the reason I provided is not the correct one, then perhaps you can supply
additional information.

> The database server and SQL Executive are running locally on the machine.
> There should be no need to access network resources.

> We have 6 other servers running SQL Server, with SQL Executive running
> under the local system account.  We have no problems with those.

> The task runs a user defined stored procedure, which just updates
> statistics for about 10 tables locally.

> Thank you,
> Jeff

> > Jeff,

> > The local system account has no rights or privileges outside of the
local
> > box. So, for example, it cannot access data located on the network.

> > > When I try to run tasks on a server in which the SQL Executive uses
the
> > > local system account, the tasks do not run.  If I create a separate
> > > account for the service to run under, it works fine.

> > > Can someone tell me what may be causing the problem when using the
> local
> > > system account?

> > > --

1. Running SQL Executive Tasks not as sa

I'm scheduling a stored procedure in SQL Executive (Type: TSQL) which
accesses information from a remote database.
Obviously the SQL Executive tasks are always executed under the sa user
account because everytime the task executes I get the error message:

Unable to connect to site 'Server1' because 'sa' is not defined as a remote
login at the site. (Message 18483)

Which is correct because I didn't map the local sa account to a remote
account.

I submitted the task as user 'xyz' and it also shows 'xyz' as the task owner
in the task manager window.
When I logon as user 'xyz' and execute the stored procedure everything works
fine.

What do I have to do so that the SQL Executive task runs under the user
account 'xyz' instead of 'sa'?

Thanks for your help

Peter

2. Transaction Log disk crashed

3. SQL Executive tasks not running

4. Need help for RDO with MS SQL Server 6.0

5. SQL Executive Tasks not running

6. Help! ODBC problems importing from Oracle into SQL Sever

7. Local System Account or Domain Account For SQL Server Service

8. timeslice after upgrade to 11.9.2

9. System Account must be used to run SQL Server 6.5

10. SQL Executive tasks don't run

11. Copy database error related to using a local system account

12. confusion between local system account and this account in services log on as

13. Service Account vs. Local System Account