BCP - text qualifiers ""

Post by Mantas Giky » Sat, 15 Sep 2001 00:02:35

Could anybody advice how to deal with text qualifiers when
importing semicolon separated text file via bcp? Sample
line for the format file would very appreciated.  I was
getting all quotation marks "" into the table, when using
Bulk Insert Task in DTS package.  Is there an elegant way
to eliminate them?  Some reference for more information on
bcp or samples would be very helpful.

Thank you.

BCP - text qualifiers ""

Post by michael bru » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 02:36:46

The following format file example should work:

7.0
2
1       SQLCHAR       0       10      ";"       1       ACCOUNT
2       SQLCHAR       0       35      "\r\n"    2       DESCRIPTION

Check Books Online for details.  Very good documentation there on
using format files.

Michael Brule
Database Administrator
Phoenix Life Insurance Company

> Could anybody advice how to deal with text qualifiers when
> importing semicolon separated text file via bcp? Sample
> line for the format file would very appreciated.  I was
> getting all quotation marks "" into the table, when using
> Bulk Insert Task in DTS package.  Is there an elegant way
> to eliminate them?  Some reference for more information on
> bcp or samples would be very helpful.

> Thank you.

1. BCP lockup with multiple "text" columns

I have one table that has only one "text" column and BCP is ok with putting
data into it.

I have another table that has two "text" columns and BCP locks up when I
attempt to import into only one of them. BCP displays "Start Copy..." and
that is it. Task Monitor shows it is using %50 of the cpu, but nothing else
happens. I have to do an END TASK to kill it.

If I exclude both "text" columns from the import it works ok.
If I include both "text" columns in the import it works ok.

Anyone else run into this problem?

2. ORA-2068 - Runnning Procedure remotely, getting error - Please Help

3. bcp text file with "" identifiers

4. Error 1501

6. Learning Sybase

7. BCP and Double Quotes (Text Qualifier)

8. Btrieve use NT/DOS

9. Bcp - Text Qualifier

10. BCP Text Qualifier

11. BCP - text qualifiers

12. bcp text qualifier and column delimiter

13. BCP with Text Qualifier