Moving SQLServer

Post by Chris Mahon » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

We wish to move our SQLServer database from one server to another.

Are there any changes that need to be made at the clients?  We have
some clients connecting with both 16bit and 32bit.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Moving SQLServer

Post by Brian K. Lawto » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

If the server will have a different name, then yes, all the clients will
need to reflect the name change.  If you are upgrading boxes but keeping the
same information then no.

RDA Consultants Limited (http://www.RDAConsultants.Com)

>We wish to move our SQLServer database from one server to another.

>Are there any changes that need to be made at the clients?  We have
>some clients connecting with both 16bit and 32bit.

>Thanks in advance
>Chris

Moving SQLServer

Post by Thierry Demorr » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello chris

It depends on the way clients are accessing the server.
If it is a web site, and the only door is a DNS entry pointing to the server
netbios' name, just change the DNS Server Name, and it will be transparent
for your clients.

Now, if clients runs applications with hard coded server name, then you have
to update all the clients configuration to the new server name.

the type of clients access ( 16 or 32 bits ) doesn't make any difference,
assuming you use the same release of the server on both sides. All you have
to check is the network access type used by your clients ( Sockets TCP,
Named Pipe, Multi protocol, and so on )

Good luck !

Thierry Demorre
Systems Engineer