Creating a temp table

Post by Terry Heckrot » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 04:54:37

I am pretty new to SQL.  I am running SQL 2000 on a Windows 2000 server.

Here is my problem:
I have a table containing multiple customers.  The table contains customer
number, name, address and a quantity of coupons that they should receive and
a number that the sequence should begin with.  I need to generate the
specified number of coupons and number them sequentially starting at X and
then incrementing by 1 until the specified quantity has been generated.  My
front end application would then generate a report where each coupon would
be its own page.  When the coupons are printed it would be for multiple
companies.

I know that on my front end I could use a brute force method to create a
table containing a record for each coupon.  I am looking for a more subtle
way of doing it in SQL if I can.  I would like to create some sort of user
defined function that would return this table.  I would want to provide the
number of companies to generate coupons for.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you