What is going on with sp_statistics?

Post by Eugene Kamashe » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 20:56:47

Hi All!
I am going to find out all indexes for table. Could anybody explain me what
is :
From SQL Server Help:
sp_statistics (T-SQL)
Returns a list of all indexes on a specified table.

Syntax

From SQL Manager source code for sp_statistics:

CREATE PROCEDURE [sp_statistics]

 AS
 set nocount on

return

Is it joke from Microsoft?

Eugene.

What is going on with sp_statistics?

Post by Dejan Sark » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 21:20:48

Eugene,

somebody must have changed it. You can check the code of the procedure in
the Instcat.sql file in the Install folder.

HTH,
Dejan Sarka

> Hi All!
> I am going to find out all indexes for table. Could anybody explain me
what
> is :
> From SQL Server Help:
> sp_statistics (T-SQL)
> Returns a list of all indexes on a specified table.

> Syntax

> From SQL Manager source code for sp_statistics:

> CREATE PROCEDURE [sp_statistics]

>  AS
>  set nocount on

> return

> Is it joke from Microsoft?

> Eugene.

What is going on with sp_statistics?

Post by Eugene Kamashe » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 21:49:49

Thak's a lot. Of course there is quite another source code for
[sp_statistics] in the Instcat.sql. But what about deploying of my
application? Who gives me guaranty in regard to correct installation that
procedure next time? Customer will not undarstand me if I ask him to do such
things.
It's not a question to you Dejan. It's a rhetorical question.

Eugene.

Quote:> Eugene,

> somebody must have changed it. You can check the code of the procedure in
> the Instcat.sql file in the Install folder.

> HTH,
> Dejan Sarka

What is going on with sp_statistics?

Post by Tibor Karasz » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 21:56:19

Eugene,

The proc you are looking at is not the proper one...
Either you are looking in the wrong database, or someone has been overwriting the
proper sp_statistics. If you are looking in master, then you should reinstall (do a
search in the install directory for the procname).

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
FAQ from Neil at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com

> Hi All!
> I am going to find out all indexes for table. Could anybody explain me what
> is :
> From SQL Server Help:
> sp_statistics (T-SQL)
> Returns a list of all indexes on a specified table.

> Syntax

> From SQL Manager source code for sp_statistics:

> CREATE PROCEDURE [sp_statistics]

>  AS
>  set nocount on

> return

> Is it joke from Microsoft?

> Eugene.

What is going on with sp_statistics?

Post by Tibor Karasz » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 22:16:26

Quote:> Who gives me guaranty in regard to correct installation that
> procedure next time? Customer will not undarstand me if I ask him to do such
> things.

I guess that you'll act the same way that, for instance, MS will act if you claim a
bug with an NT installation and they find out that you have deleted half of the files
in the WINNT catalog. :-)

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
FAQ from Neil at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com

> Thak's a lot. Of course there is quite another source code for
> [sp_statistics] in the Instcat.sql. But what about deploying of my
> application? Who gives me guaranty in regard to correct installation that
> procedure next time? Customer will not undarstand me if I ask him to do such
> things.
> It's not a question to you Dejan. It's a rhetorical question.

> Eugene.

> > Eugene,

> > somebody must have changed it. You can check the code of the procedure in
> > the Instcat.sql file in the Install folder.

> > HTH,
> > Dejan Sarka

What is going on with sp_statistics?

Post by Rick Davi » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 22:16:05

Eugene,

You shouldn't need to do this. If I was you I would look at who else has the
rights to change system SP's and ask them if they changed it. It could also be
one of them is a practical joker or simply malicious.

This procedure(the altered one) simply does not exist in the install.

Rick

.

What is going on with sp_statistics?

Post by Eugene Kamashe » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 23:11:37

    Believe me guys. Nobody  knows about this procedure. I am a one who is
arranging such things at the company.  All others even don't know what
system procedures are. I am confused not less than you. My first reaction
was laugh. But now I am not laughing. Now I am thinking about magic.
I  want to be sure that our customers will not catch this problem in the
future. Just tell me guys. Is everything ok with this procedure on your
servers?
Eugene.

What is going on with sp_statistics?

Post by Dan Guzma » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 23:57:09

No problem here.  You might take a look at the create datetime in case that
provides a clue as to what may have happened.

I assume the proc exists only in master?

Hope this helps.

-----------------------
SQL FAQ links (courtesy  Neil Pike):

 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq
-----------------------

Quote:>     Believe me guys. Nobody  knows about this procedure. I am a one who is
> arranging such things at the company.  All others even don't know what
> system procedures are. I am confused not less than you. My first reaction
> was laugh. But now I am not laughing. Now I am thinking about magic.
> I  want to be sure that our customers will not catch this problem in the
> future. Just tell me guys. Is everything ok with this procedure on your
> servers?
> Eugene.

What is going on with sp_statistics?

Post by Eugene Kamashe » Sun, 11 Feb 2001 00:32:14

Quote:> I assume the proc exists only in master?

Of course I am not stupid :)

Quote:> No problem here.  You might take a look at the create datetime in case
that
> provides a clue as to what may have happened.

I've checked date and time of creation. They are the same as all others
system procedures.
So I think it remains knotty question for me.

In any case. Problem's been solved. Thank you all for participation.

Eugene.