HELP - SQL 6.0 backup to SQL 6.5 restore

HELP - SQL 6.0 backup to SQL 6.5 restore

Post by Jeremy Shor » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I have a problem when trying to restore a database during a platform/server
upgrade. The two installations are as follows :-

Backup from : NT Server 3.51 SP5 with SQL Server 6.0 SP3
Restore to : NT Server 4.0 SP3 with SQL Server 6.5 SP4

After restoring the dump device (approx 40MB) into the new SQL database, all
the groups/users are fine, but there is only one of about thirty tables that
have survived the transfer. I have repeated the backup/restore process a
number of times with the same result.

Is there any preparation to be done on the dump device file before I attempt
the restore?

Any comments would be appreciated.

HELP - SQL 6.0 backup to SQL 6.5 restore

Post by Brian Mora » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I'm not sure exactly what you're doing, but... DUMP of a 6.0 DB then LOAD to
a 6.5 server is not supported and shouldn't be working at all.
--
Brian Moran
Chief Architect

Check out my monthly SQL column
in Windows NT Magazine!

>I have a problem when trying to restore a database during a platform/server
>upgrade. The two installations are as follows :-

>Backup from : NT Server 3.51 SP5 with SQL Server 6.0 SP3
>Restore to : NT Server 4.0 SP3 with SQL Server 6.5 SP4

>After restoring the dump device (approx 40MB) into the new SQL database,
all
>the groups/users are fine, but there is only one of about thirty tables
that
>have survived the transfer. I have repeated the backup/restore process a
>number of times with the same result.

>Is there any preparation to be done on the dump device file before I
attempt
>the restore?

>Any comments would be appreciated.

HELP - SQL 6.0 backup to SQL 6.5 restore

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Jeremy,

Perhaps you consistently used names in your tables that aren't allowed in
6.5?
On the other hand, as far as I know, the tables should be loaded, you'd only
get problems accessing them...

I'd run CHKUPG65.EXE on your 6.0 installation, and see what the outcome is.
--
Tibor Karaszi
MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

1. Help: Restoring SQL Server 6.5 Backup...

I am trying to restore a backup of a 6.5 database to a server that currently
has SQL Server 7.0 installed.  The backup tape was created with Veritas
Backup Exec 7.x using the SQL Server Agent.

My plan was to install SQL Server 6.5 and then Backup Exec on the server,
but when trying to install 6.5, I get an error (unable to connect to SQL
Server), and the SQL Server install is not completed.  It also botched my
SQL Server 7.0 install (I now get "Unknown Package ID" or "Specified SQL
server not found, ConnectionOpen(CreateFile)" depending on what I do).

My immediate goal is to restore the database from the tape.

1)  Is the SQL Server Agent in Veritas Backup Exec able to restore a SQL
Server 6.5 backup to a SQL Server 7.0 installation?  That would be
sufficient for my needs at this point.

2)  How do I determine what the problem is with my previously working SQL
Server 7.0 installation?

3)  How can I install SQL Server 6.5 on a system that already has 7.0 on it?
The server is a quad CPU server and belongs to a customer, and they
installed SQL Server 7.0 on it using their license(s), so I am hesitant to
uninstall/reinstall SQL Server 7.0 on it.

Please help.

Thanks,
Tore

2. Is this the best choice??

3. SQL 6.5 to 6.5 backup/restore

4. Urgent! Using the TDBLookupList (Delphi1.0)

5. How to restore SQL server 6.5 backup to SQL server 2000

6. Function?

7. SQL Server 6.5 backup file to restore into SQL Server 7

8. FileMaker Server quirk

9. SQL 6.5 Database Backup and restore to SQL 2000

10. 6.0 / 6.5 Backup and Restore.

11. SQL Server 6.5 - Client Upgrade from SQL 6.0 to 6.5

12. SQL 6.5 DB Restoring vs SQL 7.0 DB Restoring

13. Please help restore database SQL 6.5 to SQL 2000