SQL7, raid NT server , can't make copy of database for testdb - HELP

SQL7, raid NT server , can't make copy of database for testdb - HELP

Post by Patric » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 09:01:12

Have tried unsuccessfully a few times to restore the livedb to a testdb -
each time strange things occur.  (I am working on this server remotely) I
restored into the testdb this morning only to totally wipe out the livedb ..
but was able to restore it without a problem (the livedb that is)

What steps am I missing to create a copy?  I tried the transfer wizard ..
but it times out (distance is causing me a problem here).  Short of using
bcp to move every table out of the livedb and then into the testdb I am not
sure what I need to do.  Have worked with SQL for that past 2 1/2 this one
has me stumped (and I really don't want to keep wiping out the live database
in testing either - causes high anxiety)

Is there something special that needs to be done with RAID servers to allow
this?

SQL7, raid NT server , can't make copy of database for testdb - HELP

Post by Tibor Karasz » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 16:55:18

You don't give us much to go on. But it seems to me like you're not using the RESTORE
statement correctly. I'd make sure that I fully understand the RESTORE functionality
as per Books Online. I do know (as a trainer) that there are a lot of misconceptions
about the restore process in SQL Server.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
FAQ from Neil at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com

> Have tried unsuccessfully a few times to restore the livedb to a testdb -
> each time strange things occur.  (I am working on this server remotely) I
> restored into the testdb this morning only to totally wipe out the livedb ..
> but was able to restore it without a problem (the livedb that is)

> What steps am I missing to create a copy?  I tried the transfer wizard ..
> but it times out (distance is causing me a problem here).  Short of using
> bcp to move every table out of the livedb and then into the testdb I am not
> sure what I need to do.  Have worked with SQL for that past 2 1/2 this one
> has me stumped (and I really don't want to keep wiping out the live database
> in testing either - causes high anxiety)

> Is there something special that needs to be done with RAID servers to allow
> this?

SQL7, raid NT server , can't make copy of database for testdb - HELP

Post by Patric » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 23:29:07

Tibor

It seems that it has something to do with the way that RAID is controling
the ID of the database.   When the database is restored into the test via
whatever method (using either the GUI interface or using a Query) it appears
to transfer fine to the testdb .. however when it does transfer to the
testdb within minutes it empties out the livedb.  It seems like RAID has the
'address' or information on the livedb so when it is transfered it thinks
(it being the server) that the livedb is no longer active and that it now
resides within the testdb.  I have also been unable to create any additional
dump devices for the livedb - this is also I believe something to do with
RAID.  I have found a bcp command line to move out all tables MS TechNET
'How to Bulk Copy Out All the Tables in a Database [Q176818]' is this
perhaps an option in creating a testdb? RAID is controlling what is
happening here - I don't think that it is SQL - have done a number of
restores and rebuilds .. without any issues in the past, this is what makes
me think it is a RAID issue, something I am not overly familar with.

Do you think the bcp all tables is an option? haven't used it before but
will try it on my server here to see how that goes.  Thanks very much for
your help! Any additional suggestions or ideas are more than welcome ..
Patrice

> You don't give us much to go on. But it seems to me like you're not using
the RESTORE
> statement correctly. I'd make sure that I fully understand the RESTORE
functionality
> as per Books Online. I do know (as a trainer) that there are a lot of
misconceptions
> about the restore process in SQL Server.

> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> FAQ from Neil at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com
> Please reply to the newsgroup only, not by email.

Quote:> > Have tried unsuccessfully a few times to restore the livedb to a
testdb -
> > each time strange things occur.  (I am working on this server remotely)
> > restored into the testdb this morning only to totally wipe out the
livedb ..
> > but was able to restore it without a problem (the livedb that is)

> > What steps am I missing to create a copy?  I tried the transfer wizard
..
> > but it times out (distance is causing me a problem here).  Short of
using
> > bcp to move every table out of the livedb and then into the testdb I am
not
> > sure what I need to do.  Have worked with SQL for that past 2 1/2 this
one
> > has me stumped (and I really don't want to keep wiping out the live
database
> > in testing either - causes high anxiety)

> > Is there something special that needs to be done with RAID servers to
allow
> > this?

SQL7, raid NT server , can't make copy of database for testdb - HELP

Post by Tibor Karasz » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 23:46:57

I very much doubt that RAID (if you by RAID mean redundant array if inexpensive disks)
can have anything to do with this. Have you really looked at the restore statement?
Especially the MOVE parameter?

I'm afraid that without hands on, I cannot help further...
--
> [...]

> > > restored into the testdb this morning only to totally wipe out the
> livedb ..
> > > but was able to restore it without a problem (the livedb that is)

> > > What steps am I missing to create a copy?  I tried the transfer wizard
> ..
> > > but it times out (distance is causing me a problem here).  Short of
> using
> > > bcp to move every table out of the livedb and then into the testdb I am
> not
> > > sure what I need to do.  Have worked with SQL for that past 2 1/2 this
> one
> > > has me stumped (and I really don't want to keep wiping out the live
> database
> > > in testing either - causes high anxiety)

> > > Is there something special that needs to be done with RAID servers to

1. Failed SQL7 to SQL2000 database copy using copy database wizard

I am using the copy databse wizard to copy 2 databases
from SQL7 to SQL2000.  One database always copies, the
other always fails.  The failed error message is

Microsoft SQL-DMO(ODBC_State:HY000)

Error 3624:
Converting database "MainDB" from version 525 to current
version 529.
Database "mainDB: running upgrade step from version 525 to
version 526
Location:  upgraddb.cpp:2230
Expression:   0
SPID:     53
ProcessID:    1088

The one that works is about 10GB, the one that fails is
about 20 GB...any ideas??

Thanks

John

2. Strange behaviour in word

3. Error: Relation 'testdb' does not exist

4. Very slow query speed with Like operator.

5. Making a Database copy across different servers?

6. CHANGE THE CHARACTER SET !

7. Request help making duplicate copies of a database (without data)

8. Error message DTS for XMLSQL

9. Help, Making copy of SQL Server Installation

10. Copy Database SQL7.0 to SQL7.0

11. COPY DATABASE SQL7.0 TO SQL7.0

12. Copy DB from SQL7 server to SQL7 desktop?

13. NT re-installed, SQL server doesn't recognize database - please help