bcp limitations?

Post by Toni Eibne » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 19:17:39

Are there limitations to the size of data you can bcp into a table?
Each of the rows in this table is over 900 characters.

Thanks
Toni

bcp limitations?

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 21:17:46

Not really other than the size of the table it is going into. 900 bytes
should not be a problem.

--
Andrew J. Kelly   SQL MVP
Targitinteractive, Inc.

Quote:

> Are there limitations to the size of data you can bcp into a table?
> Each of the rows in this table is over 900 characters.

> Thanks
> Toni

bcp limitations?

Post by Toni Eibne » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 21:50:32

When creating the format file to be able to bcp the data into the table,
how would I tell it the field terminator at the end of the row is a
carriage return?  When I look at the formatting of the file in Word, it
just shows me the character.  I can't tell how to represent that via
text in order to put that into the format file.

Toni

bcp limitations?

Post by Dan Guzma » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 21:58:43

You can specify "\r\n" for carriage-return and line-feed.  There are
examples of this in the Books Online.

Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP

-----------------------
SQL FAQ links (courtesy  Neil Pike):

http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
http://www.sqlserverfaq.com
http://www.mssqlserver.com/faq
-----------------------

Quote:

> When creating the format file to be able to bcp the data into the
table,
> how would I tell it the field terminator at the end of the row is a
> carriage return?  When I look at the formatting of the file in Word,
it
> just shows me the character.  I can't tell how to represent that via
> text in order to put that into the format file.

> Toni

1. BCP limitation?

We used BCP to import a 680,000 row table successfully before. For some
reasons, we rebuilt the SQL server, and tried reloading the data through
BCP, it hung in row 349,000. Though we used /b option to split the data file
to two transactions and successfully imported those data. By the way, we
already enable "Select into/Bulk copy", transaction log size should not a
problem.

I wonder if any SQL setting shall be enforced to load 680,000 in one
transaction?

2. Need help installing client

3. BCP Limitations

4. Connect Oracle and IBM DB2 through LU 6.2

5. bcp limitations on size of tables?

6. Using pl/pgsql or sql for in/out functions for types

7. BCP file size limitation ?

8. Informix DBA Position (Los Angeles, Calif.)

9. Limitation of desktop version and BCP

10. Slow BCP faster than fast BCP!?

11. bcp 10.0.4 and bcp 11.1

12. Fast BCP vs Slow BCP

13. BCP - Unexpexted EOF encountered in BCP data-file