merge replication fails without error

Post by A Kaba » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 23:13:27

I've had a bit of a disaster here in that merge
replication (one publisher, three subscribers) apparently
failed a few days ago without showing up on the merge
agent as a failed merge. My replication monitor (sql 7)
showed no failures yet, when I took replication down one
night this week, made schema changes, pushed those changes
and data out to subscribers, and started replication
again, subscribers lost data they had entered in the last
few days.

Is there some particular place I should start looking
about information concerning how merge replication can
fail without showing failure in the replication manager?

merge replication fails without error

Post by Nick Schueler » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 08:21:59

Hi A Kabak
How did you detect that there was a failure? Was it because records were
missing on the subscriber after a Reinit? (I assume you resychronized
because of your comment "took replication down one night this week, made
schema changes, pushed those changes and data out to subscribers". You
would have to unsubscribe and resubscribe to make schema change in SQL
7.0.)  Before a Reinit you would need to upload your changes from the
subscriber. Otherwise data that has not yet been uploaded from the
subscriber would be lost. The default merge subscription will drop and
recreate the target tables.

There is logging that you can turn on if you want to look at verbose
messages for the Merge agent. You should turn it off when you are done
troubleshooting because it will impact performance.

Q312292 HOW TO: Enable Replication Agents for Logging to Output Files
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q312/2/92.asp

Nick Schueler

--------------------

| Subject: merge replication fails without error
| Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 07:13:27 -0700

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.replication
|

| I've had a bit of a disaster here in that merge
| replication (one publisher, three subscribers) apparently
| failed a few days ago without showing up on the merge
| agent as a failed merge. My replication monitor (sql 7)
| showed no failures yet, when I took replication down one
| night this week, made schema changes, pushed those changes
| and data out to subscribers, and started replication
| again, subscribers lost data they had entered in the last
| few days.
|
| Is there some particular place I should start looking
| about information concerning how merge replication can
| fail without showing failure in the replication manager?

Are you secure?  For information about the Strategic Technology Protection
Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/security.

1. Merge Replication : Merge Agent fails with Garbled sp name errors

Merge Agent keeps failing with errors such as
"could not find stored procedure 'sp_helpmargealternatepublisher'"
or "'ARITHEBORT' is not a recogognized option" etc.

On closer inspection the names of the stored procedures etc that it's trying
to call are garbled :

"NUMARIC_ROUNDABORT","sp_MSgetrersion" etc.

Anybody had anything similar ?

Publisher W2K, SQL2000
Subscribers both NT4,SQL2000 recently upgraded from SQL7.0, problem only
occurs on one of the subscribers.

Richard

2. FoxPro 2.6 for Macintosh

3. Merge Replication with ftp fails after adding A New Merge Article

4. OS/2-dbm

5. Merge Replication failing with enumerate error message

6. ODBC

7. Replication fails without errors

8. Date Dictionary problem

9. Replication fails over a VPN (Merge Replication)

10. Merge replication, without replicate changes on the subscriber

11. Merge replication without snapshot

12. Merge replication without snapshot?

13. Merge replication without snapshot