MSSQLServer Service Sporadically Stops & Restarts

MSSQLServer Service Sporadically Stops & Restarts

Post by Greg Haselman » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 08:05:49

Our SQL Server stops without any error messages or log messages, except a
W2K event log reading
The MSSQLServer service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 6 time(s).
The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

It then restarts about 20 seconds later and the NT event viewer always has

Windows could not save the registry settings in your user profile on its
first try because another program or service was editing them. Windows tried
again and saved them after 23 attempts.

I've found nothing in the MS Knowledge base or in other posts.  Have traced
the server and not seen any particular query running when it happens.
Hardware works fine, no other errors or service problems.  It only happens
where there is a moderate load on the server. (20-30 users)

Anyone have any suggestions?

Looking for troubleshooting help.  Here's the software/hardware info.

SQL 7 SP2
W2K SP1
1GB RAM 300-800MB to SQL
DELL 2400 DUAL 733 P3 w/RAID 5
Main database about 4GB
Plenty of hard disk space.

Thanks,

Greg

MSSQLServer Service Sporadically Stops & Restarts

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:21:12

Greg - anything in the SQL errorlog?  Anything in drwtsn32.log?

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

MSSQLServer Service Sporadically Stops & Restarts

Post by Greg Haselman » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 01:08:28

Neil,

No entries in SQL error log and no drwtsn32.log file at all. The only
strange thing is a userenv.log file that lists errors after each restart of
the service. We are planning on applying SP3 and calling Microsoft next.

Thanks,

-- Greg

Quote:> Greg - anything in the SQL errorlog?  Anything in drwtsn32.log?

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  Reply here - no email
>  SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
>  http://forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
>  (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
>  or www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
>  or www.sqlserverfaq.com
>  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

MSSQLServer Service Sporadically Stops & Restarts

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 05:41:22

 Greg - sounds like an unhandled exception then.  You'll need to attach a
usermode de* to SQL Server to get to the bottom of it and get a dump -
maybe SP3 will solve it though

 > No entries in SQL error log and no drwtsn32.log file at all. The only

> strange thing is a userenv.log file that lists errors after each restart of
> the service. We are planning on applying SP3 and calling Microsoft next.

> Thanks,

> -- Greg

> > Greg - anything in the SQL errorlog?  Anything in drwtsn32.log?

> >  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
> >  Reply here - no email
> >  SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
> >  http://www.veryComputer.com/
> >  (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
> >  or www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
> >  or www.sqlserverfaq.com
> >  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 http://www.veryComputer.com/
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. MSSQLServer service stop/restart

We have a SQL 7.0 (SP3) server running on an NT server.
The MSSQLService stopped with a fatal error.  (This was an
application error)  However, the service started back up
less than 1 second later.  (Based on the SQL logs and
Event Viewer) No one within the organization restarted the
service.  Does anyone know how this is possible??
TYIA

2. dta_ui_role

3. no reconnection to mssqlserver after restarting mssqlserver

4. Running traces

5. Unable to stop MSSQLSERVER or SQLSERVERAGENT services

6. Paradox for Win 5.0 and IE 4.01A

7. MSSQLServer service stops randomly

8. Error max number configured user connections

9. MSSQLServer Service Stop

10. Stopping remote MSSQLServer service

11. MSSQLServer service stops randomly...

12. Service MSSQLSERVER could not be stopped

13. Trouble Starting and Stopping MSSQLSERVER Service