MDX : Canned Report or OLAP

Post by Ashu » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 04:30:57

Here is the requirement spec for a report about various
values(items below) for different projects.

item#1 item#2 item#5For2001 item#5For2002 item#6For2001 ...

Here item#1 and 2 are measured in general for the entire
lifecyle of the project, item#5 & item6 is being reported
yearwise. Can this kinda of data be stored in a single
cube? If Yes then what will be the MDX query to fetch the
data in above format.

Thanks,

Ashu

MDX : Canned Report or OLAP

Post by Ashu » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 04:30:58

Here is the requirement spec for a report about various
values(items below) for different projects.

item#1 item#2 item#5For2001 item#5For2002 item#6For2001 ...

Here item#1 and 2 are measured in general for the entire
lifecyle of the project, item#5 & item6 is being reported
yearwise. Can this kinda of data be stored in a single
cube? If Yes then what will be the MDX query to fetch the
data in above format.

Thanks,

Ashu

1. High Performance OLAP Reporting (custom reports) Tools

Good day to you!

I'm searching for a reporting tool in order to create reports on the
basis of MS Analysis Services cubes. The reports are in a custom
format and therefore the Excel PivotTable AddIn is of no use.
There are a lot of Excel AddIns for custom OLAP-reporting out there,
and a few of them we've already tested. Some do as they say, some not.
All of them have in common the same poor performance. As soon as there
are more than, say, 5,000 cells involved, the waiting becomes a
strain.

Please note that a hugh amount of cells not only occurs when you need
to _see_ a lot of cells, but solely depends on one thing: the number
of elements in a dimension. Example: We've a customer dimension
containing 10,000 elements. We want the 'sales', colums: '2002 and
2003', rows: 'customers that created sales'.
Let's say only 500 of the customers created sales in that period.
All custom-reporting tools so far asked the server for all cells (i.e.
10,000 * 2 (years) = 20,000) and then filtered the null values, which
mustn't be displayed, locally. Instead they _should_ have asked the
server only for those rows that actually have had sales (500 * 2 =
1,000).

The idea behind a two-tier client-server architecture is that the
server does the number crunching. Isn't there a single Excel AddIn
that filters server based and not locally? Excel would be our favorite
choice.

If the above issue cannot be solved with Excel: what other tools are
there?
The custom report needs slicing but not drilldown functionality.

Anybody already through this?
Suggestions are very welcome!

Yours,
Markus Hagen

2. Access question

3. Excel XP as OLAP client with MDX

4. MAXIMUM ROW SIZE

5. OLAP - Analysis - MDX

6. Doesn't ShowInTaskBar

7. OLAP MDX HELP

8. rules

9. MS OLAP - MDX Distinct Function

10. The connection time from MDX to olap Server is too long

11. OLAP and MDX syntax

12. SQL and MDX on OLAP cube

13. MDX:Invalid Locations - MS OLAP Solutions pg 174