Is XML good for storing Curriculum Vitae?

Is XML good for storing Curriculum Vitae?

Post by Daniel Bogesdorfe » Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:44:54

I posted this in the xml forum my mistake so here it goes
again.

I've completed an online Curriculum Vitae search engine
for the university but I'm thinking on changing the way
the CV's are stored in my sqlserver.  As of now they are
large chunks of text but I'm thinking that they could be
represented in a structured format by using xml.  Any
thoughts on this?  The reason for the change is we need to
pull data based on dates.  An example would be a doctor's
publications.  As of now its a large text field and there
is no way to search for date.  My understanding of xml
(its not real good) is this can be strucutred.

thanks..

Daniel Bogesdorfer
Senior Programmer
University of Pittsburgh

Is XML good for storing Curriculum Vitae?

Post by Bryant Like » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 00:39:45

[snip]

Quote:> I've completed an online Curriculum Vitae search engine
> for the university but I'm thinking on changing the way
> the CV's are stored in my sqlserver.  As of now they are
> large chunks of text but I'm thinking that they could be
> represented in a structured format by using xml.  Any
> thoughts on this?

SQL Server is not designed around XML. If you want to add structure to your
CVs then you should just add more columns to the table they are stored in.
This would allow you to search by date.

--
Bryant