install location of SQL7

Post by JAS » Tue, 08 Jan 2002 22:53:25

Hello

I have noticed that if SQL7 is installed in a directory with a space in it,
eg c:\program files\mssql7, some batched jobs will not work. Does anyone
know if this is an error in SQL or in NT? I use SQLAgent to call batch
files.

TIA

JAS

install location of SQL7

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 03:41:48

 JAS<

 SQL errors, NT errors and setup/installer errors.  Even after all this time,
MS hasn't resolved some basic stuff like "long" file names and disks/partitions
greater than 2GB in size...

 Your best bet is to install to a short name dir - like C:\MSSQL7

 > I have noticed that if SQL7 is installed in a directory with a space in it,

Quote:> eg c:\program files\mssql7, some batched jobs will not work. Does anyone
> know if this is an error in SQL or in NT? I use SQLAgent to call batch
> files.

> TIA

> JAS

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. installing sql7 sp3 over original sql7

on nt 4 sp6ado you need to stop EVERY service before running the sp3?
theres' like 20 or so, and to manually do that seems ridiculous.
if not every one, which ones?

the readme says stop applications, then further down, says restart services.
guess they don't know either.

any other caveats, besides backing up the system db's?

also, since my sql7 is on D: and I only have 500k left on C:, can I
unpack the sp3.exe onto D: and run it from there, and will it deploy
correctly????

thank you.
bp

2. Changing computer name on Windows 98...

3. NT server 4, SQL7 - ugrading to W2K, SQL7 on same box - fresh install

4. Hanging insert over database link

5. Either installing SQL2000 or un-installing SQL7 has stopped MS XL from working properly

6. User definded functions

7. How to change location of Log-File in SQL7.0

8. connect delphi/parad. to the internet

9. Programatically define ODBC locations at time of install

10. SQL Server 2000 install location

11. Install Location for MSDE

12. Patch to fix installed location dependency in AIX

13. webdb install location