Dumb SQL/ASP newbie question

Post by Black Plasti » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:11:32

I'm having to do a crash self learning job with sql server 7 for use in asp
(the access database has been outgrown)

I've managed to set the database up etc but I'm getting what appears to be a
wierd connection string problem. This may be just my lack of experience with
it. For example, my database is called: engine and the main guts of it lives
in: C:\webs\~gizmosql\dbs\engine_Data.mdf

I take it initial file and initial catalog is correct. When I use asp to
connect to it I get an error

constring = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Persist Security Info=False; User ID=sa;
Initial Catalog=engine; Initial File
Name=C:\webs\~gizmosql\dbs\engine_Data.mdf"

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
/~gizmosql/testing.asp, line 12

If I change the initial catalog line (just put a 1 in before it) it works???
This bothers me because I can't understand why!

constring = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Persist Security Info=False; User ID=sa;
Initial Catalog=1engine; Initial File
Name=C:\webs\~gizmosql\dbs\engine_Data.mdf"

What am I failing to understand here???

1. Dumb ASP/SQL Question by newbie

[...]

2. Columns, aren't they accessable?

3. Dumb Newbie Question datatype question

4. Updating table with Null parameter

5. Very dumb question from Newbie

6. Basic Question

7. Dumb Newbie question

8. Powerbuilder Developers Wanted

9. Dumb Newbie Questions!

10. A dumb newbie question

11. Newbie dumb question about DAO and Checkbox

12. dumb newbie questions

13. dumb newbie question - won't take you long