Server Name Restrictions?

Post by Kaman Won » Sun, 17 Mar 2002 04:46:34

Hi All,

I am trying to install SQL Server 2000. Does anyone aware of any limitation
on the name of the server? For example, the Windows 2000 Server name is
'app-rpt-dev'. Is this okay? If not, why and where can I find more
information on names? I searched through the online books and couldn't find
anything on this topic.

Thanks in advance.

Kaman

Server Name Restrictions?

Post by Bob Pfeiff [MS » Sun, 17 Mar 2002 05:47:26

Your server name should be OK from a SQL Server perspective, there is info
in books online under "Using Identifiers" that lists rules for identifiers.

I usually like to avoid special characters like hyphens in the server name,
which is partly just a hold over from my SQL Server 4.21, 6.0, and 6.5 days
where they could cause problems.   But you should be aware that some
applications may have trouble with special characters or long server names,
for example there was a version of Site Server that had some sensitivity to
SQL Server name length and special characters.

--
Bob
Microsoft Consulting Services

Server Name Restrictions?

Post by Kaman Won » Sun, 17 Mar 2002 06:07:42

Thanks,

Kaman

Quote:> Your server name should be OK from a SQL Server perspective, there is info
> in books online under "Using Identifiers" that lists rules for
identifiers.

> I usually like to avoid special characters like hyphens in the server
name,
> which is partly just a hold over from my SQL Server 4.21, 6.0, and 6.5
days
> where they could cause problems.   But you should be aware that some
> applications may have trouble with special characters or long server
names,
> for example there was a version of Site Server that had some sensitivity
> SQL Server name length and special characters.

> --
> Bob
> Microsoft Consulting Services
> ------
> This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

1. Object name length restriction

I've run into a problem with object name length restrictions in Access
97 while connecting to SQL Server. Objects in Access are restricted to
64 characters but SQL Server supports 128.

I have a table called 'zstblSecurityUserGroup' with a foreign key
constraint 'FK_zstblSecurityUserGroup_zstblSecurityGroup'. I put an
index on with the same same, neither name exceed 64 but when you try
to attach the table in Access it complains that it can't find the
table, I tracked the problem down to the fact that Access creates it's
virtual indices on linked tables as tablename_indexname so
'zstblSecurityUserGroup_FK_zstblSecurityUserGroup_zstblSecurityGroup'
does exceed the 64 characters. Access 2000 copes with this well but in
Access 97 can I get to a lower level to specify that Access not use
the table name as a prefix for the index name?

2. ODBC without Ingres/NET ?

3. T-SQL Column Name Restrictions?

4. Storing Word Document....

5. restrictions on table naming?

6. Display BYTE in HTML generated by 4gl cgi

7. 8 character catalog name restriction

8. MS SQL errorcodes

9. T-SQL Column Name Restrictions?

10. Field Name Restrictions(VB6.0/DAO/MSJET 3.51)

11. User Name length restriction

12. Oracle Names restriction?