Could not initialize data source object of OLE DB provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0'

Could not initialize data source object of OLE DB provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0'

Post by <mclo.. » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

Trying to link to an Access database here.

This is the syntax I use:

EXEC sp_addlinkedserver
    'Tracker2',
    'OLE DB Provider for Jet',
    'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0',
    'D:\aggtest\tracker.mdb'

GO

--when I exec sp_linkedservers, I get this for the results:

SRV_NAME
Tracker2
SRV_PROVIDERNAME
Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0
SRV_PRODUCT
OLE DB Provider for Jet
SRV_DATASOURCE
D:\aggtest\tracker.mdb
SRV_PROVIDERSTRING
NULL
                                                  SRV_LOCATION
NULL
SRV_CAT
NULL

--But then when I run this code:

SELECT *

FROM Tracker2...Mstrstud

I get the following error message:

Server: Msg 7303, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
Could not initialize data source object of OLE DB provider
'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0'.
[OLE/DB provider returned message: Cannot start your application. The
workgroup information file is missing or opened exclusively by another
user.]

Has anyone run into this problem, and if so, how did you solve it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

-Matthew