SQL 6.5 Integrated Security??

Post by Atif But » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

Currently our company is using SQL Server 6.5  independent SQL Security
model, where each user has a logon ID.  We are thinking of implementing
the SQL Integrated Security model to rid of the logon required for each
users.  What are some of the issues I should be aware of if I change my
SQL Server 6.5 to use the integrated security model?  Also if I change
to integrated security model, how do user rights play a role on
different databases?
If someone can shed some light on this topic...

Thank you,
-atif-

Atif *
Systems Engineer
Strategic Network Designs, Inc.

SQL 6.5 Integrated Security??

Post by Chris Leonar » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

The biggest change is that with integrated security, the ONLY way for a user
to connect to a SQL Server is via an approved OS account.  Along the same
lines, this means that only named pipes and/or multi-protocol can be used as
your network protocol.

As for user rights in different databases, nothing really changes.  The
integrated / mixed / standard security models are only about logging on to
SQL Server - ie., which SQL login do I get?  The security models do not
affect how you map an SQL Login to a database user or group.  You still
associate SQL Logins with database users and groups in the different
databases, and grant object and database permissions to those users and
groups, just like with standard security.

There's my .02 worth.  Hope it helps!

--
Chris Leonard
SQL Server / Windows NT MCP

>Hello,

>Currently our company is using SQL Server 6.5  independent SQL Security
>model, where each user has a logon ID.  We are thinking of implementing
>the SQL Integrated Security model to rid of the logon required for each
>users.  What are some of the issues I should be aware of if I change my
>SQL Server 6.5 to use the integrated security model?  Also if I change
>to integrated security model, how do user rights play a role on
>different databases?
>If someone can shed some light on this topic...

>Thank you,
>-atif-

>Atif *
>Systems Engineer
>Strategic Network Designs, Inc.

1. NT and ms sql 6.5 integrated security

Hello !

We want to configure our ms sql server 6.5 so it would accept the users of
NT domain without password checking.
But we don't want them to log in onto 'sa' login (what just happens),
because we want to define different permisions for them - we want to define
their own, different logins.
We set the "integrated security" in Security tab of Configuration window of
the server, we have created the local NT group on our NT domain server, but
this group stays invisible for the SQL Server security manager. Members of
earlier NT groups (global ones) have all mapped the 'sa' login.

What can we do ? Please help.

Pawel Dec

2. Your Opinions

3. NT and sql 6.5 integrated security

4. Database cleaning

5. Integrated Security on SQL 6.5?

6. passing wildcard to SP variable

7. Integrated Security and SQL Server 6.5

8. sqlplus setting

9. SQL 6.5 and iNTegrated Security

10. Integrated Security and SQL Server 6.5

11. Integrated security and Grant Priviege on 6.5

12. XMLBulkLoad Works with integrated security, fails with SQL Server security