URGENT! - Collation Settings on SQL Server 2000

URGENT! - Collation Settings on SQL Server 2000

Post by Enric » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:53:28

Hi everyone!

I have a SQL Server instance that has been built with a
collation setting that is not correct.
Is there any way I can change it without having to
rebuild the server?

Many thanks for your help

Enrico

URGENT! - Collation Settings on SQL Server 2000

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:08:19

You cannot change collation for your system databases with less than doing a rebuild
(rebuildm.exe).

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
For help on TSQL, please provide code we can execute in Query Analyzer

Quote:> Hi everyone!

> I have a SQL Server instance that has been built with a
> collation setting that is not correct.
> Is there any way I can change it without having to
> rebuild the server?

> Many thanks for your help

> Enrico

URGENT! - Collation Settings on SQL Server 2000

Post by Enric » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 14:06:03

Many thanks!

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>You cannot change collation for your system databases

with less than doing a rebuild
>(rebuildm.exe).

>--
>Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
>For help on TSQL, please provide code we can execute in
Query Analyzer

>> Hi everyone!

>> I have a SQL Server instance that has been built with a
>> collation setting that is not correct.
>> Is there any way I can change it without having to
>> rebuild the server?

>> Many thanks for your help

>> Enrico

>.

1. SQL Server 2000 ignores Collation Settings

I have an instance of SQL Server 2000 and I cannot get an "ORDER BY"
clause to return the results in the sort order that I have specified for
my database - "ISO 8859-1 (Latin-1), case-sensitive, accent-sensitive".

When I installed SQL Server, under the Collation Designator I selected
"Latin-1",  and checked the boxes for "case-sensitive" and
"accent-sensitive". When I run sp_helpsort it reports back
"Latin1-General, case-sensitive, accent-sensitive, kanatype-insensitive,
width-insensitive". When I run SELECT CONVERT(char,
SERVERPROPERTY('collation')) it returns "Latin1_General_CS_AS". When I
run SELECT CONVERT(char, DATABASEPROPERTYEX('<dbname>', 'collation')) it
returns "Latin1_General_CS_AS". This all looks great.

Then I add a table with some sample data - a bunch of words beginning
with "u, , U", and "" - and I run a select/order by statement on it.
For example, SELECT Name FROM Table ORDER BY Name, and the results it
spits back are definitely not case or accent sensitive - it sorts all
the u's as if they were the same. Some 's come at the beginning, some
at the end, with plain u's in between. What am I doing wrong??? Has
anybody every tested the sorting output of a case-sensitive database? Am
I misunderstanding what the ORDER BY clause is supposed to do? I can't
believe that this could be a real bug...

Help!

Tonya

2. US-GA-DB2 DBA / ORACLE

3. Collation Setting Question in SQL 2000

4. Error 1608 and 17824

5. Setting the collation on SQL Server Install

6. registering a server on another domain

7. change collation setting without install sql server again?

8. How do I ??

9. Installing SQL Server 2000 changes Windows 2000 cache settings

10. SQL Server 2000 Collation error in Stored Procedure

11. SQL Server 2000 case sensitive collation

12. Changing collation of an SQL Server 2000 instance

13. SQL Server 2000 - collation conflict