SQL Server Service Manager Setting Question

SQL Server Service Manager Setting Question

Post by Jim » Wed, 14 May 2003 10:22:50

Does anyone know where the "Auto-start service when OS
starts" checkbox setting in the SQL Server Service Manager
is stored when it is set?  Here is the challenge: When the
MSDE2000 setup runs under WinNT, WinXP, or Win2000 the
setup automatically checks the "Auto-start service..."
checkbox but when the MSDE2000 setup runs under Win98,
Win98SE, or WinME it does not automatically check that
checkbox.  I'm hoping there is a programmatic way to set
it (rather than having to explain to a 98 user how to set
the checkbox manually, let alone find the SQL Server
Service Manager <grin>).  Thanks for any insights or ideas
on how to set that!

SQL Server Service Manager Setting Question

Post by BP Margoli » Wed, 14 May 2003 14:53:53

Jim,

The WinNT, WinXP and Win2000 all support "services". Probably the defining characteristic of a service is that it can start running even when no one is logged on.

Win98, Win98SE and WinME do not support services. So a user has to log in before SQL Server can be invoked. You can, if you wish, create a batch job that will start up SQL Server, but I don't have enough knowledge of these OS's to know if they support automatic execution of a batch job when a user logs in.

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.

> Does anyone know where the "Auto-start service when OS
> starts" checkbox setting in the SQL Server Service Manager
> is stored when it is set?  Here is the challenge: When the
> MSDE2000 setup runs under WinNT, WinXP, or Win2000 the
> setup automatically checks the "Auto-start service..."
> checkbox but when the MSDE2000 setup runs under Win98,
> Win98SE, or WinME it does not automatically check that
> checkbox.  I'm hoping there is a programmatic way to set
> it (rather than having to explain to a 98 user how to set
> the checkbox manually, let alone find the SQL Server
> Service Manager <grin>).  Thanks for any insights or ideas
> on how to set that!

SQL Server Service Manager Setting Question

Post by Vlad Vissoultche » Wed, 14 May 2003 20:24:35

on win 98 this checkbox actually puts a shortcut to db engine (sqlservr.exe)
in the Startup folder. now, there is a problem with the Agent which
*depends* on the SQL Server "service" being started and there is no way to
"order" execution of shortcuts in Startup so AFAIK this checkbox is disabled
for the Agent on win 98 boxes.

i successfully used Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\scm.exe
to start/stop "services" under win 98 and the there is also SvcStartType
param which might be helpful in your case.

if you need to do it programmatically check the Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\80\Tools\DevTools\Samples\misc\scm\SCMControl sample. it has a
w95scm.dll with several useful exports.

HTH,
</wqw>

Quote:> Does anyone know where the "Auto-start service when OS
> starts" checkbox setting in the SQL Server Service Manager
> is stored when it is set?  Here is the challenge: When the
> MSDE2000 setup runs under WinNT, WinXP, or Win2000 the
> setup automatically checks the "Auto-start service..."
> checkbox but when the MSDE2000 setup runs under Win98,
> Win98SE, or WinME it does not automatically check that
> checkbox.  I'm hoping there is a programmatic way to set
> it (rather than having to explain to a 98 user how to set
> the checkbox manually, let alone find the SQL Server
> Service Manager <grin>).  Thanks for any insights or ideas
> on how to set that!

1. SQLServer Service Manager Settings Question

Does anyone know where the "Auto-start service when OS
starts" checkbox setting in the SQL Server Service Manager
is stored when it is set?  Here is the challenge: When the
MSDE2000 setup runs under WinNT, WinXP, or Win2000 the
setup automatically checks the "Auto-start service..."
checkbox but when the MSDE2000 setup runs under Win98,
Win98SE, or WinME it does not automatically check that
checkbox.  I'm hoping there is a programmatic way to set
it (rather than having to explain to a 98 user how to set
the checkbox manually, let alone find the SQL Server
Service Manager <grin>).  Thanks for any insights or ideas
on how to set that!

2. sybase problem Error: 7105, Severity: 22, State: 9

3. Service Manager Settings Question

4. SQL 6.5 -> 7.0

5. sql server service manager - no service has been selected

6. Does anyone have a SP to return space used on device (SQL 6.5)

7. Errors in Service Manager and Enterprise Manager after installing Service Pack 3

8. is it neccessary to take backup after archivelog stop/start

9. SQL 7.0 Service Manager error 1069 - (The service did not start due to a logon failure

10. Cannot install SQL Server, Service Control Manager error

11. Security Manager Login (SA) kills SQL-Server-Service

12. SQL Server Service Manager problem when changing computer name