I need to convert data into a SQL database table

I need to convert data into a SQL database table

Post by Chris Friedber » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 03:36:40

I need to convert the attached .txt comma delimited data
file into a SQL database table. I don't wan't to have to
purchase MS SQL server for $800 just to convert some data
once in a while. Does anybody know of any afordable tool
that can do this?
Thanks!

  test_01.txt
17K Download

I need to convert data into a SQL database table

Post by Keith Kratochvi » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 03:52:29

Huh?
If you are converting the data into your existing MS SQL SERVER, you can use
tools such as BCP, Bulk Insert, Linked Servers, or DTS in order to import
the data into your SQL SERVER database server.  Why would you need to
purchase another instance of SQL Server?

--
Keith, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> I need to convert the attached .txt comma delimited data
> file into a SQL database table. I don't wan't to have to
> purchase MS SQL server for $800 just to convert some data
> once in a while. Does anybody know of any afordable tool
> that can do this?
> Thanks!

I need to convert data into a SQL database table

Post by Chris Friedber » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 06:05:21

I do not own SQL, nor do I want to buy SQL server for
$800, all I want to do is convert the data I posted,
the .txt data file into a SQL database table. Again I DO
NOT OWN SQL, I want to convert it so I can import it into
Gold Mine which has its own database dBASE engine, I do
not need SQL Server for any reason. I was just trying to
see if anyone made any utility to convert data into SQL
just so I can import it into another program that accepts
the SQL format.

Post by BP Margoli » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 06:14:35

Chris,

If this is a one-time need, perhaps it would make sense for you to download
the SQL Server 2000 Evaluation Edition from:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/trial/default.asp

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.

Post by Erland Sommarsko » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 06:38:36

> I do not own SQL, nor do I want to buy SQL server for
> $800, all I want to do is convert the data I posted,
> the .txt data file into a SQL database table. Again I DO
> NOT OWN SQL, I want to convert it so I can import it into
> Gold Mine which has its own database dBASE engine, I do
> not need SQL Server for any reason. I was just trying to
> see if anyone made any utility to convert data into SQL
> just so I can import it into another program that accepts
> the SQL format.

If you want to import the data in Gold Mine, I don't under stand why you
want to involve SQL Server at all.

I know nothing about Gold Mine, but about any database product has some
sort of import utility. If nothing else works, a script (Perl, VBscript,
whatever) that reads the file and generates INSERT statements (assuming
that Gold Mine uses SQL(*)) could do.

(*) Which here refers to the *language* SQL. Microsoft SQL Server is
just another database product that uses this language, as SQL is the
lingua franca for database engines.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP

Books Online (updated!) for SQL 2000 at

I need to convert data into a SQL database table

Post by Allan Mitchel » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 19:06:52

If the data is going from .txt to dBase and never needs to use SQL
Server then I presume the reason you want SQL Server is for the DTS
utility maybe ?  If not then why SQL Server when it is not a Source or
destination.

Also Erland mentioned Inbuilt importers and from what I remember of
GoldMine it had an import uility to do this type of thing.  How
flexible it was I can't remember though.  The new version(s) of
GoldMine are on SQL Server.

If Goldmine is not flexible wnough then a simple routine in Access
Would do it or even Excel.

--

Allan Mitchell
MCSE, MCDBA

I need to convert data into a SQL database table

Post by Crt. » Mon, 26 Aug 2002 06:10:15

I do not want to OWN a Mercedes 600 for $100,000.
I just want to drive it on weekends to VOLVO dealers for a test drive..

Anyone has a good idea? :-)

I need to convert data into a SQL database table

Post by Russell Field » Mon, 26 Aug 2002 23:02:33

Chris,

I think you can see that everyone was pretty much confused by your request.
So am I. :)

However, you could convert you string into a series of SQL commands.  For
example:
Convert: 123,'SAM','10/10/02'

Into: Insert Into Customer (CustID, CustName, Da*rolled) Values
(123,'SAM','10/10/02'
)

If Gold Mine can receive SQL command strings then it should be able to
absorb this.

FWIW
Russell Fields