6.5 problem

Post by J O Hollowa » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 19:02:20

I finally got the remote server admin to stop more services.  It wasn't
until we shut off SMNP and some other service (ApServ?) that things finally
stopped trying to connect, and we were able to get things going.  All is
well now.

Thanks for the help, Tibor.

Quote:> My guess is that you have some service which is establishing those

connections as soon as you
Quote:> start SQL Server. This could be SQLServerAgent, 3:rd part SQL Server
backup agents, etc.

> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> Archive at:

http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sql...

Quote:> > I have a question about an old (production) 6.5 database server running
on
> > NT v4 sp6a (half-gig RAM, 500 MHz processor, lots of disk space) running
at
> > a remote site.  I thought I had a lock problem, so I bumped up the locks
> > quite high.  On restart of the server, it would not come up.  I tried
going
> > in through command-line (sqlservr -f) to get minimal configuration (so
that
> > I could use isql to sp_configure the locks back down to the previous
> > setting), but I keep getting an error saying I have exceeded five
> > connections, and it won't let me in.  I'm confused, since I have no
other
> > connections, and have even taken the server off the network to ensure
> > nothing can try to connect and have ensured that all other services are
> > stopped.

> > On my test server, this didn't happen at all.  The test server is just a
> > 150MHz with 48 MB RAM, and I can bump it up to a billion or even two
billion
> > locks, and it starts up just fine.  I can also start it up in minimal
> > configuration and adjust the locks via isql, with no problems
whatsoever.

> > Can anyone tell me what might have happened to the production server?
Is
> > there a way to fix this without doing a complete

reformat/reinstall/reload?

1. Help with MS SQL Server 6.5 Problem

I have MS-SQL Server 6.5 installed on a Windows NT server with SP3 for
NT and also the SP3 for MS SQL Server 6.5.  My co-employees encountered
the following errors, being new to MS SQL server I was unable to solve
this so I hope some of you can help me out.

PROBLEMS:
1. Error During Delete

Delete Master File (No detail file referring to it is CREATE)
SQLSTATE=37000
[Microsoft] [ODBC SQL Server Driver] [SQL Server]
Unable to bind foreign key constraint. Too many tables involved in
query.

2. ALTER TABLE

Add a Column with NO NULLS  - Does not allow?
Delete Column - How ?

- could not ALTER TABLE
- TO ALTER, DROP THEN CREATE TABLE DATA NEEDS TO BE BACKED UP.

I'll try to post the SQL statements involved tomorrow as I do not have
their problem report at the moment, but if anyone out there has an idea,
I'd appreciate it if you could help. Thanks.

2. Ingres <--> NT database solutions?

3. SQL 6.5: PROBLEM WITH MASTER

4. 4GL and writing reports to a report

5. Uninstalling 6.5 Problem

6. Y. Alan Griver's FoxPro 2.6 CodeBook

7. 6.5 Problem

8. who can write a small java GUI connecting to a DB

9. About SQL server 6.5 Problem

10. 6.5 problem synchronising identity values

11. NT 4.0 and MS-SQL Server 6.5 - Problem ?

12. VB6/ADO/SQL Server 6.5 problem with DISTINCT?

13. Switching from SQL 7 to SQL 6.5 problems