comparing 7.0 to 6.5

Post by owen » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I'm currently considering upgrading from SQL server 6.5 to SQL server 7.0.
But before I go through this process, I wanted to know:
1) which features and advantages 7.0 has over 6.5 which anyone has noticed
or appreciated

2) features in 6.5 (if there are any) not available in 7.0.

Any and all comments/opinions are appreciated.

Thank you,
Owen Hammond

comparing 7.0 to 6.5

Post by doug_spri.. » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Just upgraded 6.5 to 7.0 and the biggest benefit so far is the ability
to modify structures (including being able to drop a column) of related
tables without dropping the relationships and recreating them. SQL 7.0
updates the relationships for you. Also removes limitation of 31 FK's
per table.

The new query interface is spectacular! Combines all the features of
Access (graphic and grid panes) with a real time SQL pane that displays
the SQL query as you make changes to the graphic or grid pane. Also has
a results pane which provides direct edit capabilities.

Upgrade was very smooth. Converted 6.5 tables to 7.0 without problem.

Good luck!

Doug Springs

Quote:> I'm currently considering upgrading from SQL server 6.5 to SQL server

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/