NT/SQL7.0 unstable..?

Post by Bria » Sat, 24 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Neil,

Quote:>"Both platforms/dbms's scale and
> perform well." ?

If this is true, then why did Microsoft recently announce that they were
delaying the release of Windows 2000 Datacenter because it was having
trouble scaling past 8 CPUs?
Unix and the other RDBMSes have been scaling far past that for years.

Brian Crooke, MCSE

Quote:> Kent,

>  Stick with what you have experience with.  Both platforms/dbms's scale
and
> perform well.

>  > 1.) Is it try that if you have a lot of simultaneous users (more than
20)
> > then the better choise is to use Unix/Oracle8?

>  Unless you're talking 20,000+ concurrent users then NT/SQL is fine.

> > 2.) What are the advantages with NT/Sql7 compared with Unix/Oracle8?
> > Ecomomy/preformace?

>  NT/SQL is cheaper to buy and run.  And it runs on cheaper hardware.  But
this
> is only one factor that should affect your choice.

>  What are YOU trying to achieve?

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  (Please reply only to newsgroups)
>  SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
>  forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
(sqlfaq.zip - L7
> - SQL Public)
>  or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
>  or www.sql-server.co.uk
>  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

NT/SQL7.0 unstable..?

Post by Neil Pik » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

 How many systems do you have that need anything like this sort of power?

Quote:> If this is true, then why did Microsoft recently announce that they were
> delaying the release of Windows 2000 Datacenter because it was having
> trouble scaling past 8 CPUs?
> Unix and the other RDBMSes have been scaling far past that for years.

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (faqrtf.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. NT/SQL7.0 unstable..?

Kent - Al's pointed out this is a DW newsgroup (when you read as many as me,
they all merge together).  If you did mean for DW (your post didn't say), then
20,000 would of course be too much for any DW system taking ad-hoc queries.

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (sqlfaq.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

2. INGRES error; What is the correction method?

3. Replication entre SQL7 NT et SQL7 Win98

4. Massachusetts - Senior Oracle Applications Trainer

5. Restore DB from NT-SQL7 to WIN98-SQL7 error

6. Is VB good as Optima++ is ?

7. NT server 4, SQL7 - ugrading to W2K, SQL7 on same box - fresh install

8. REQUIEM ftp information

9. Migrating SQL7 off NT to Win2k SQL7

10. NT - users and NT - usergroups (sql7)

11. Import sql7 DB from sql7 Enterprise to sql7 desktop

12. SQL2000->Access2000 Unstable Performance