database/log backups display wrong dates

database/log backups display wrong dates

Post by Tim Swall » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Every friday night I backup one of my database's to a dump device on disk.
On saturday nights I then backup the transaction log to another backup device
on disk using the init option to clear any old backups. I then backup the
transaction logs for the rest of the week, each night to this dump device on
disk without the init command.

When i look at the contents of these two backup devices with server manager in
SQL the date next my weekly database dump is correct but the dates next to my
subsequent transaction log backups are not.

For example.

Weekly database dump to my weekly_backup_device was run on Fri 24-10-97 and SQL
server manager displays this date next to the backup file.

Saturday night transaction log backup to daily_backup_device ( with init ) was
run on sat 25-10-97 but SQL server manager displays the date 23-10-97 next to
this backup file.

Sunday night transaction log backup to daily_backup_device ( no init ) was run
on sun 26-10-97 but SQL server manager  displays the date 25-10-97 next to this
backup file.

But if I look at the scheduled tasks the last run dates for these backups are
displayed correctly..

Can anybody shed any light on this matter for me

cheers

Tim

database/log backups display wrong dates

Post by Dave Kitabjia » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I've seen the same thing consistenly.

If I recall correctly, the timestamp on the first log after a full dump is
off, maybe by a whole day.

I don't know the cause, but I know I analyzed it and it's very repeatable,
but I don't know how to make it go away. However, I think the dumps are
still valid regardless. But it's unnerving to have wrong timestamps since
supposedly that's how the system determines what order to restore the dumps
in!

Dave
:)

Quote:> Every friday night I backup one of my database's to a dump device on

Post by Dwayne K. Lancl » Fri, 31 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>I've seen the same thing consistenly.

>If I recall correctly, the timestamp on the first log after a full dump is
>off, maybe by a whole day.

>I don't know the cause, but I know I analyzed it and it's very repeatable,
>but I don't know how to make it go away. However, I think the dumps are
>still valid regardless. But it's unnerving to have wrong timestamps since
>supposedly that's how the system determines what order to restore the dumps
>in!

Perhaps this can be cleared up by reviewing the definitions of the fields in
sysbackuphistory in Books Online.  I recall reading the descriptions and
thinking to myself that they were definitely non-intuitive.  IOW, backupstart
(or whatever it is called) was not the date and time the backup started but
something else entirely.

----

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

1. asp/ado: dates display in wrong format

We have the same problem in the UK! The number of times i hit a server
installed with the detail US date format! It's a real pain and involved
convoluted code to cope with all possible scenarios.

Check the region / date format on the web server. If you are connecting from
asp to as sql database then the dates are returned to the web server ok, but
converted at some point to strings. It is at this point the region info
comes in to play. i have (on ocaissions) explicitly converted dates to
formatted strings in the SQL so that i can avoid inadvertant date to string
conversions.

Paul Durdin

2. Export Errors (TNS)

3. Backup Media has wrong date???

4. DTS Update from text file

5. SQL errorlog indicates wrong date/time for backups

6. Installation Oracle8i on Linux

7. 971025 - SQL Anywhere 5.0.02 wrong backup date

8. Index Tuning Wizard - Bug (?)

9. Getting wrong date from database???

10. Display just Date, not date and time

11. Wrong number displayed for Free space on hard drive when installing SQL SErver

12. Wrong value (case insensitive) displayed from select

13. Wrong display order in One-Many relationship