DTS package not executing an inside DTS package

DTS package not executing an inside DTS package

Post by Stev » Thu, 15 May 2003 02:34:47

Hello all,
  I'm running SQL Server 2000 EE on Advanced Server with
sp3 for both.  Currently I can create a DTS package that
executes an analysis server processing task fine.  When I
put this DTS package into another DTS package (for the
purpose of grouping multiple analysis tasks together) It
will not run the first DTS package.  It starts but then it
hangs an never completes.  Has anyone ever heard of this
before?  Is this a bug or is it something I am doing wrong?

Thanks ahead of time.

DTS package not executing an inside DTS package

Post by Darren Gree » Thu, 15 May 2003 19:24:41

In the parent package, make sure the task that executes the child is set to
"Execute on main thread". The option is found under the Workflow properties,
right-click the task to see them.

The OLAP Proc task is written in VB, and anything VB must run on the main
thread. The task itself will already be set correctly as the designer does
this for you, but because your are now hosting this in another task via the
parent child setup, it also needs this option set.

--
Darren Green
http://www.sqldts.com

Quote:> Hello all,
>   I'm running SQL Server 2000 EE on Advanced Server with
> sp3 for both.  Currently I can create a DTS package that
> executes an analysis server processing task fine.  When I
> put this DTS package into another DTS package (for the
> purpose of grouping multiple analysis tasks together) It
> will not run the first DTS package.  It starts but then it
> hangs an never completes.  Has anyone ever heard of this
> before?  Is this a bug or is it something I am doing wrong?

> Thanks ahead of time.

1. Executing DTS packages inside another DTS package

Here's the issue:

I've got a package that has 3 Execute Package Tasks. The first task creates
a Global Temp table and inserts data from a dBase file. This task is inside
of a loop because I have to read in at least 3 different filetypes before
moving to the second task. The second task needs to query these temp tables
and then create a comma separated file for importing the data into the
system.

Now, I know that temp tables are bound to the connection session.  So, I
would like to try to either pass in the Connection object from the master
dts package or access the master package from within the secondary package.
If any body has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Steve B.

2. ODMG

3. Capture Error in DTS Package, From Inside DTS Package

4. Zlib vulnerability heads-up.

5. Execute DTS Package within another DTS Package

6. msaes110, msajt 110,112,200, whatever...

7. I want to execute a DTS package from another DTS package

8. 'Syntax error or access violation' when trying to execute an Oracle SP?

9. Error executing a DTS package from another DTS package

10. Can't execute DTS Package inside trigger

11. DTS: view package Log of a package executed from an ASP

12. Executing DTS package from within another package