Two LOG File - how can I delete the 2nd log file

Two LOG File - how can I delete the 2nd log file

Post by chri » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Alter database coost3 remove file 'coost3_logE'

Error:
The file 'coost3_logE' cannot be remove because it is not empty.

Now I
backup log coost3 with truncate_only
backup database coost3 to disk = 'e:\coost3.bak'
dbcc loginfo(coost3)

shows many rows (20-30) with status "0" but one that status auf file 3 is
"2"
Itzik Ben-Gan writes in NG that means file is in use.

Why doesn't truncate the log file with backup and backup log and EM truncate
log?

Two LOG File - how can I delete the 2nd log file

Post by Tibor Karasz » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Chris,

You also have to produce log records to move this active file off that log
file (and onto the other log file). This can be done by doing (dummy)
updates/inserts/deletes.

--
Tibor Karaszi
MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Alter database coost3 remove file 'coost3_logE'

> Error:
> The file 'coost3_logE' cannot be remove because it is not empty.

> Now I
> backup log coost3 with truncate_only
> backup database coost3 to disk = 'e:\coost3.bak'
> dbcc loginfo(coost3)

> shows many rows (20-30) with status "0" but one that status auf file 3 is
> "2"
> Itzik Ben-Gan writes in NG that means file is in use.

> Why doesn't truncate the log file with backup and backup log and EM
truncate
> log?

1. How to delete certain reocrds from a table whitout logging any records in Trans Log file

Dear all,

How can I Removes all rows from a table which match certain condition
without logging the any records in Transaction Log file.

I know truncate table which will reomve all rows. I need to remove only
rows which match certain condion.

Appreciate any of your tips and ideas.

Regards,

Ahmed

2. question: IIF's

3. Can i just delete the *.TRN files from log file backups

4. Timeout Expired!!!

5. Problem with TWO MDFs and Log files for one DB

6. Problems with Import/Attach Paradox 4.0 into Access 2.0

7. adding databases to SQL 6.5 via two .DAT (data/log) files

8. Ingres NET and recommended protocols question?

9. Message Logging into Package log file

10. Log backup shrinks my log file

11. transaction log fills every 30 days log file size is 500MB is this normal

12. Shrink Log SQL Log Files

13. Log Shipping - specifying NIC card to use when sending transaction log files