DTS to odbc flat file

Post by <michele.labella.. » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

When i try to transform an Excel file to a flat file associated to a
Microsoft Text Driver (ODBCJT32.dll ver 4.00.3513 ) i get the following
error:

Error at Destination for Row number 1. Errors encountered so far in this
task: 1.
Error Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
Error Description:The query is not updateable because
the from clause is not a single simple table name.

Have you any suggestion?
Thanks in advance
Mike

DTS to odbc flat file

Post by Bill Hodghea » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

DTS is designed to use the DTS Flat file driver that ships with it, not the
ODBC flat file driver.

Quote:> When i try to transform an Excel file to a flat file associated to a
> Microsoft Text Driver (ODBCJT32.dll ver 4.00.3513 ) i get the following
> error:

> Error at Destination for Row number 1. Errors encountered so far in this
> task: 1.
> Error Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
> Error Description:The query is not updateable because
> the from clause is not a single simple table name.

> Have you any suggestion?
> Thanks in advance
> Mike

DTS to odbc flat file

Post by mike » Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Ok! But using ODBC flat file driver I have a mapping of my file (ie a
schema.ini with a description of the column of my file separated by "|"); so
when I transform in DTS the Source into my flat file, using ODBC driver i
can see the names of the columns of the file; on the other hand, using DTS
Flat file driver, I can't see the name of the columns of my file.
Any other suggestion?
Regards

>DTS is designed to use the DTS Flat file driver that ships with it, not the
>ODBC flat file driver.

>> When i try to transform an Excel file to a flat file associated to a
>> Microsoft Text Driver (ODBCJT32.dll ver 4.00.3513 ) i get the following
>> error:

>> Error at Destination for Row number 1. Errors encountered so far in this
>> task: 1.
>> Error Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
>> Error Description:The query is not updateable because
>> the from clause is not a single simple table name.

>> Have you any suggestion?
>> Thanks in advance
>> Mike

DTS to odbc flat file

Post by mike » Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Ok! I decided to use the ODBC Flat file driver 'cause it mantains the names
of the columns of my file (I have an odbc definition contained in a
schema.ini file; the file is "|" separated). If I use ODBC driver during a
DTS transformation I can see the names of the file's columns; but if I use
DTS Flat file driver I can't see the names of the columns and the mapping
task is hard! DTS Flat text driver seems not to see any schema.ini
Thanks
Regards

>DTS is designed to use the DTS Flat file driver that ships with it, not the
>ODBC flat file driver.

>> When i try to transform an Excel file to a flat file associated to a
>> Microsoft Text Driver (ODBCJT32.dll ver 4.00.3513 ) i get the following
>> error:

>> Error at Destination for Row number 1. Errors encountered so far in this
>> task: 1.
>> Error Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
>> Error Description:The query is not updateable because
>> the from clause is not a single simple table name.

>> Have you any suggestion?
>> Thanks in advance
>> Mike

DTS to odbc flat file

Post by Bill Hodghea » Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:00:00

The flat file OLEDB doesn't use a separate schema.ini file. It can read
column names from the front of the data file (comma separated) if you
specify that.

> Ok! I decided to use the ODBC Flat file driver 'cause it mantains the
names
> of the columns of my file (I have an odbc definition contained in a
> schema.ini file; the file is "|" separated). If I use ODBC driver during a
> DTS transformation I can see the names of the file's columns; but if I use
> DTS Flat file driver I can't see the names of the columns and the mapping
> task is hard! DTS Flat text driver seems not to see any schema.ini
> Thanks
> Regards

> >DTS is designed to use the DTS Flat file driver that ships with it, not
the
> >ODBC flat file driver.

> >> When i try to transform an Excel file to a flat file associated to a
> >> Microsoft Text Driver (ODBCJT32.dll ver 4.00.3513 ) i get the following
> >> error:

> >> Error at Destination for Row number 1. Errors encountered so far in
this
> >> task: 1.
> >> Error Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
> >> Error Description:The query is not updateable because
> >> the from clause is not a single simple table name.

> >> Have you any suggestion?
> >> Thanks in advance
> >> Mike

DTS to odbc flat file

Post by mike » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Thank you for your precious suggestion and help.
In my environment when I use a DTS flat file as Destination I can't see the
names of the columns: DTS tries always to create in the destination file the
same columns of the Source and seems not to see the column definition in the
front of the file.
Instead, all seems to work as you wrote when I use a Source Flat file.
Where is my mistake?
Thanks

>The flat file OLEDB doesn't use a separate schema.ini file. It can read
>column names from the front of the data file (comma separated) if you
>specify that.

>> Ok! I decided to use the ODBC Flat file driver 'cause it mantains the
>names
>> of the columns of my file (I have an odbc definition contained in a
>> schema.ini file; the file is "|" separated). If I use ODBC driver during
>> DTS transformation I can see the names of the file's columns; but if I
use
>> DTS Flat file driver I can't see the names of the columns and the mapping
>> task is hard! DTS Flat text driver seems not to see any schema.ini
>> Thanks
>> Regards

>> >DTS is designed to use the DTS Flat file driver that ships with it, not
>the
>> >ODBC flat file driver.

>this

DTS to odbc flat file

Post by Bill Hodghea » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

When the destination is a flat file, it gets column names from the file
definition in the transformation. In the wizard, you would click on the
Transform button on the Select Destination File Format dialog and change the
names of the destination columns. In the Designer, you change the
destination column names in the destination tab of the transform (click
new).
- Bill

Quote:> Thank you for your precious suggestion and help.
> In my environment when I use a DTS flat file as Destination I can't see
the
> names of the columns: DTS tries always to create in the destination file
the
> same columns of the Source and seems not to see the column definition in
the
> front of the file.
> Instead, all seems to work as you wrote when I use a Source Flat file.
> Where is my mistake?
> Thanks

DTS to odbc flat file

Post by mike » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Why Destination Flat file driver does not keep the columns names put in
front of file? They help to correctly mapping the fields, so that the data
consumer of that file (another cobol program) will find the fields it
expects.
Thank you for your great help!

>When the destination is a flat file, it gets column names from the file
>definition in the transformation. In the wizard, you would click on the
>Transform button on the Select Destination File Format dialog and change
the
>names of the destination columns. In the Designer, you change the
>destination column names in the destination tab of the transform (click
>new).
>- Bill

>> Thank you for your precious suggestion and help.
>> In my environment when I use a DTS flat file as Destination I can't see
>the
>> names of the columns: DTS tries always to create in the destination file
>the
>> same columns of the Source and seems not to see the column definition in
>the
>> front of the file.
>> Instead, all seems to work as you wrote when I use a Source Flat file.
>> Where is my mistake?
>> Thanks

DTS to odbc flat file

Post by Bill Hodghea » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

The flat file driver doesn't use the destination file at all except to write
data. Any info there will get overwritten. The Wizard or Designer use the
source to suggest column names for the destination.

> Why Destination Flat file driver does not keep the columns names put in
> front of file? They help to correctly mapping the fields, so that the data
> consumer of that file (another cobol program) will find the fields it
> expects.
> Thank you for your great help!

> >When the destination is a flat file, it gets column names from the file
> >definition in the transformation. In the wizard, you would click on the
> >Transform button on the Select Destination File Format dialog and change
> the
> >names of the destination columns. In the Designer, you change the
> >destination column names in the destination tab of the transform (click
> >new).
> >- Bill

> >> Thank you for your precious suggestion and help.
> >> In my environment when I use a DTS flat file as Destination I can't see
> >the
> >> names of the columns: DTS tries always to create in the destination
file
> >the
> >> same columns of the Source and seems not to see the column definition
in
> >the
> >> front of the file.
> >> Instead, all seems to work as you wrote when I use a Source Flat file.
> >> Where is my mistake?
> >> Thanks

1. Accessing Flat files through DTS Flat File OLE DB Provider

Hello,

I am interested in defining a DTS package that transforms data from
flat files to SQL Server table.

I would like to access the flat files through the DTS Flat File OLE DB
Provider.

But, I couldn't find any information on how to define the metadata of
the Flat files.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Hayim Salti

2. Help ! Driver Setup

3. Urgent : DTS exporting to a Flat file

4. US-NC-Sr. Network Engineer - Windows NT, MS SQL Server, LAN, WAN, DB Basics Inc. #004

5. Problem with DTS export to flat file

6. Possessed BP File

7. convert fixed width Flat file to db2 tables using SQL DTS 2000

8. Multiple database connections

9. DTS export to a flat file with float columns causes crash (SQL2000 - SP3)

10. DTS Problem with Flat File Imports

11. Documentation for DTS Flat File Provider

12. Collate Error in DTS Import of ASCII flat file

13. inserting into sql server 7.0 from flat file using DTS