Anyone ever used MS SQL Server with large databases

Anyone ever used MS SQL Server with large databases

Post by Doug Hanse » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I'm considering porting a system currently in Sybase/UNIX to MS SQL
Server/NT due to a 16 subquery limitation in Sybase (need about 40 or
50).  Sybase won't be fixing it until 12.0.  Unfortunately there is no
other way to write the query and without having major performance
problems.

The database is over 100 GB and growing.  I know MS says they can
handle a terabyte but what have you experienced with databases this
size in terms of perforamance?  Any other problems with large DB's?

Anyone ever used MS SQL Server with large databases

Post by Neil Pik » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Doug - as long as you're talking SQL 7 then you should be fine with the query
running.  I have databases larger than this running on SQL Server.  I believe
the largest out there is about 12TB.

Quote:> I'm considering porting a system currently in Sybase/UNIX to MS SQL
> Server/NT due to a 16 subquery limitation in Sybase (need about 40 or
> 50).  Sybase won't be fixing it until 12.0.  Unfortunately there is no
> other way to write the query and without having major performance
> problems.

> The database is over 100 GB and growing.  I know MS says they can
> handle a terabyte but what have you experienced with databases this
> size in terms of perforamance?  Any other problems with large DB's?

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (420 entries) see

http://forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)