Replication

Post by Dieter Schwaa » Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I'm trying to replicate across a firewall to another SQL Server.  All the
appropriate ports have been opened!

However, I'm getting this message:

28000[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed

Any ideas?

Didi

Replication

Post by Steve Robinso » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Dieter,

Have you started the SQL Executive service with an account wich has admin
privilleges on both the publisher and subscriber ?

Steve Robinson
SQLServer MVP

>I'm trying to replicate across a firewall to another SQL Server.  All the
>appropriate ports have been opened!

>However, I'm getting this message:

>28000[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed

>Any ideas?

>Didi

Replication

Post by Dieter Schwaa » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

hi

Yes, the SQLExecutive service is running as an admin account on both
servers.  In addition, the servers are using accounts with the identical
name/password.

But this is a know bug !!! This appears sometimes (ms kb article) !!

I try to install the sql server new...

Replication

Post by Roy Salisbur » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Check out KB article Q216848 ... This may help

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q216/8/48.asp

>I'm trying to replicate across a firewall to another SQL Server.  All the
>appropriate ports have been opened!

>However, I'm getting this message:

>28000[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed

>Any ideas?

>Didi

1. Replication - replication truncation point?

HI, I am using sql2000 to do transactional replication. The book online says
the yet-to-be-distributed transaction's transaction log will not be
truncated in the published db until the transaction log actually all made it
to the distribution db. Can someone explained a bit more about that? Does
this imply there is a second truncation point maintained by  the sql2000
server in additional to the committed transaction truncation point beyond
which the server will not  truncate the transaction log in order to insure
the recovery of the db.

If the secondary truncation point does exist, would that mean when I
dump/load the db to elsewhere where there is no replication, I will have to
somehow tell the server this replication truncation point is now
irrelevant(otherwise I will never be able to truncate the log!). I will also
need a way to tell the presence of such point.

Or can this secondary truncation point be the same as the committed
transaction truncation point? ie, distribution agent and the publisher
collectively manage this single one truncation point. Correct me if I am
wrong but I would image this imply only committed transaction gets to go
into the distribution db and only at the time when they are committed... not
before.

I have not run into any problem relating to this but understanding it is
important for me because I do not want the get into the first situation
without knowing how stuff works..

Any help will be highly appreciated!

2. GPF (KERNELL32.DLL)

3. Briefcase replication and SQL replication

4. controlling screen objects with procedures not in screen

5. Replication status and Cancelling Replication

6. class missing

7. SQL Server 7, Transactional Replication, How to enumerate pending replication commands in readible format

8. stop/start SQL server in cluster environment

9. SNAPSHOT Replication -- struggle for replication views

10. FAQ for replication user interface / Transactional replication issues

11. Enabling Replication Changes Identity to (NOT FOR REPLICATION)

12. How to start/stop replication agent for transactional replication via Transact SQL

13. transactional replication adding replication guid to table