We have SQL 6.5 with SP#3 installed and wanted to move the transaction log.
MYDATABASE ;the daabase name
OLD_LOG ;The old log device
NEW_LOG ;The new log device
The transaction log was already on a seperate device from the database so
we followed the directions for moving a trasaction log in MS SQL Server
Administrators Companion as follows:
1. Create new device 'NEW_LOG'
2. Ran sp_log MYDATABASE,NEW_LOG and the response was as follows:
No action needed or taken, because all fragments for database 'MYDATABASE'
on device 'NEW_LOG' are already dedicated for log usage only.
(This didn't sound really good but we continued anyhow...can anybody tell us
what this means?)
3. Wrote a script to insert 10,000 records into the database and then
deleted them. We did this to complete enough transactions to fill the
extent of 8-pages (plus more than that) that the database was currently
using so that it would move to the new log device. We ran DCCC Checktable
(syslogs) to determine that we had filled at least 8-pages (more like 1,200
4. We are sure that all active transactions on the old database device had
completed. We were in single user mode and there were no queries or
applications being run.
5. We dumped the transaction log.
6. Finally we ran SP_HELPLOG and the reponse was as follows...
In database 'MYDATABASE', the log starts on device 'OLD_LOG'.
We had fully expected to see the new log device getting used as in....
In database 'MYDATABASE', the log starts on device NEW_LOG'...but this is
Can anyone help us with this. Any response would be greatly appreciated