Remote client replication over VPN

Post by Doug Kra » Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:53:56

We are deploying an application based on SQL 2000 which
requires our remote clients to merge replicate to our
server each day. We have no control over the equipment
the client has, other than specifiying Windows 2000 or
XP. We have provided a VPN client to these users to
connect through our firewall to our SQL Server for
replication. However, while the replication works fine if
a connection is established, we are encountering a lot of
difficulty getting the VPN tunnel established due to the
range of configurations clients have.

Is there another method that the remote clients can
securely replicate over the internet that does not
require a VPN tunnel?

Remote client replication over VPN

Post by Patrick Johnso » Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:14:05

Quote:> Is there another method that the remote clients can
> securely replicate over the internet that does not
> require a VPN tunnel?

Proxy Server ?

http://search.microsoft.com/gomsuri.asp?n=3&c=rp_Results&target=http:...
dn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/replsql/replsec_5ad0.asp

http://search.microsoft.com/gomsuri.asp?n=4&c=rp_Results&target=http:...
w.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/deploy/confeat/intrepl.asp

1. transactional replication using vpn to vpn

Hi all, is it possible to set up transactional replication
between two sql servers by specifying an ip address?  I'm
trying to replicate data between these servers through a
vpn to vpn connection.

Currently, there is a T1 connection between each server
and data is replicated between both servers via the T1.  I
would like to take some traffic off of the T1 and use the
vpn - vpn connection but I only want replicated data to
pass through this connection.  I'm thinking of adding
another nic with a different ip address on each machine to
try to implement this.  The problem is that I can't
specify an ip address when trying to set up the subscriber
for transactional replication.

I was thinking of adding an alias on the subscriber
machine using the client network utility and then setting
that up using tcp/ip as the network library and the ip
address as the computer name.  I would then add the
subscriber using the alias name.

Is this even possible?

TIA

richard e.

2. Resource About Programming Regarded Distributed Database

3. Replication fails over a VPN (Merge Replication)

4. Zipcodes

5. remote connection to sql server 2000 thru vpn

6. MultiUser !

7. Merge Replication over Internet using VPN

8. replication over the vpn

9. VPN replication

10. replication over vpn

11. Replication in VPN

12. Merge Agent Failure for Replication thru Internet based VPN