Move SQL 6.5 Database

Post by Rob Naidic » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 02:43:29

I have an old server that has a SQL 6.5 database.  I would like to move a
few of the databases on this server to a server with a SQL 2000 database.
Is the only way to do this with the SQL Switch utility on the SQL 2000
server?  Also, if I use this utility, does it remove my old database from
the SQL 6.5 server or does it just copy it to the SQL 2000 server?

Thanks.

Rob

Move SQL 6.5 Database

Post by Keith Kratochvi » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 03:21:56

The switch utility enables you to run 6.5 and 2000 on the same box (not
concurrently, however--unless we are talking about named instances).  So no,
the switch utility is not what you would use.

If I remember correctly, you should be able to use the upgrade utility that
is built in to SQL2000 and do a two machine upgrade of your database from
6.5 (on the 6.5 box) to 2000 (on the 2000 box).  This will leave your SQL
6.5 database untouched while creating the database on your 2k box.

--
Keith, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> I have an old server that has a SQL 6.5 database.  I would like to move a